What to do in an Emergency??

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Hi Guys

Witness a bad incident the other day driving and it brought up an important question??
Whilst driving along the hotel strip I witnessed about 4 cars in front of me a jeepeta t-bone a moto.
The guy went flying of the bike and hit the ground pretty hard.
Although this time there was many people to help, I realised I had no clue what exactly to do.
So a few questions...
What is the emergency number here?
Is the emergency service reliable?
Has anyone had to deal with such an incident them self?

also to all drive safe I know the typical way of driving here is absolute insanity but after seeing that incident not worth it
slow down everone, be courteous and safe!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately, there are no Good Samaritan laws here, so anything you do you do at your own risk. Certainly take down license numbers, take pictures, etc.

If you are a witness to the incident, you might talk to the local police commander if they need a witness, also to the local prosecutor (Fiscal), JIC.

There are no really reliable numbers to call, so don't waste your time.

Sorry to bear such poor news..

HB

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there was a similar thread a while back, and the consensus at the time was to turn and run like hell. the basis of that advice was that if you get yourself involved in any way at all, it will somehow turn out to cost you money (at best), or (at worse) somehow end up being your fault.

it would never be my personal instinct... but self preservation has its merits and sometimes the head has to rule over the heart.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
They say here if you hit a moto the best thing to do is reverse over him and finish it off, works out cheaper and less time in jail. Obviously it isn't what most of us would do but,,,,,,,

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yep, the best thing is to drive off. ideally you should drive directly to the police but i would be tempted to go home if no one saw me. sorry, i have low morals. i would lose sleep and nerves over killing someone regardless whether i would be punished for it or not. and of course, it is better to go unpunished. and to think i have a degree in ethics, eh?

current rate is at about million pesos a head. this is what you have to pay to the family of the victim. unless you are poor then you may do some time instead.

medically it is best not to touch the victim, again. motoconchos are most likely to have spine fractures and moving them can make matters worse. of course once help arrives they just throw the body on a back of a pickup without much thought anyways.

yeah, on a second thought, just take pictures like everyone else and drive away. there is not much you can do :(

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Interesting replies...
was something i never thought of before I came here, easy to take emergency services and caring for your fellow man for granted
I definitely will not be getting on a moto, espiscally if I do get hit by someone they will likley reverse over me...haha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even back home one is not adviced to attend accidents victims, unless properly trained, of course.
dominican emergency services are pretty special anyways. i remember seeing a picture of a police (?) team digging out decomposed body from a trench. they had face masks and gloves all right but paired with plastic crocs on their bare feet. so much for the risk of contamination...

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
I have done some first aid training but still would be hesitant to jump straight in
Back home I would call the ambulance first den try to keep any victims comfortable as possible to an ambulance arrived
if I knew that no help would come for some time den I would give more assistance
but yes under NO circumstances should you try to move a injured person espiscally if they have suspected spinal

Bit scary DV8 hope i never need anysort of help here

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nah, dude. dominican will always help, they do not know much about first aid but they are enthusiastic enough.