food and lodging costs outside of resorts?

H

hw

Hi,
Can anyone give me an update on the minimum I need to budget for food and motel if I'm travelling independently outside of the resorts? I'm willing to go pretty lowbrow. The guidebooks differ on the minimum: some say $10/day for motel, some say $25/day. Likewise on food. Feedback? Thanks!

D

Doug

If you want to go the cheapest possible way, you could go for 10 per day for lodging and probably 15 for food, but you would be eating a Dominican meal ALL the time and staying in a not so nice place(shared bathroom, no air-cont. or fan, and probably no generator.) If I were you, I would budget 30 for your room and about the same for food. This way you would be able to find your room in a not so undesirable spot and your food would be very good. Mind you, you will be able to save some money, depending on how you want to exist. (Make your own sandwhiches,don't drink, ) but if you are on the move this method won't be to handy for you. So in short take approx 60 per day(U.S.) and you'll come home with money or have some at the end of your journey to pick up some memorys,gifts or sourviners. Now mind you, this is MY opinion and mind only,but I myself and many friends have went this way before and find it realistic. E-mail me if you want some more info, or go to www.bocachicabeach.net and find some realistic prices.

E

Eddy

50 bucks a day for food and lodging sounds pretty reasonable to me.

J

Jim Hinsch

See www.BocaChicaBeach.net. Go to the Directory page.

Listed under "Resources and Info", sub-category "Government and Statistics", see "Cost of Living".

R

Richard

I would sugest at least $25-35.00 per day for your room and about 300 pesos (25.00) for food depending of course on how high off the hog you want to live. Have fun.

P

Phyllis

I just returned from POP

Stayed at the Portofino Guest House - excellent! I've been there 5 different times now and love the place. Quiet, only 14 rooms, small pool, great restaurant on site, very friendly staff and all for $30 CDN / day - of course food being extra, but very reasonably priced! Right near the Malecolm and close to everything.