Volunteer/Social Worker Needed for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Hi,

I am looking at contacting someone who is a volunteer, social worker, or in the education field in Puerto Plata area. I am looking at putting children I know into private schools and have a lot of questions regarding registration, requirements, and resources available, which I want to run by someone who has experience in this area.

If you can lead me to the right person, or are the right person- please PM me!

Thank you!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I can applaude this action, do you really have any idea of what you are getting into? You said children, plural.

Look, in the Puerto Plata area there are only two, maybe three good private schools. They are different, oh so different, from public school. For example, the best one is filled with the children of the privileged few of POP. These are kids that can talk about $1500 electricity bills and how their Lexus is so difficult to get repaired. For any kid that you want to help, this is like talking Martian.

So, you need to find a lesser level school. Perhaps one run by evangelicals, which tend to be for-profit institutions sometimes, but they do take in kids from a lower socio-economical strata. However, here again, there are major social distinctions.

Why not make sure they have sufficient uniforms and books and follow up supervision, even after-school tutoring??? And attend public schools?

Just some late night thoughts.

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I second Hillbilly on this one. If you just undertake to make sure that they have some things at home such as a battery powered light for homework.. a place to do it, the clothes, the books, and all that .. you will be doing them a great service.

I did volunteer work for two years at a Foundation school in LT and most of the kids there did not have enough to eat. We gave them juice and cookies and then lunch.. (the school did not last since it was being run by a French architect who we discovered was stealing money from his clients in order to run the school.. This place is full of all sorts of wackos!)

Like HB, I applaud your generosity but advise that you first make sure of other issues that we are pointing out.

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Thank you for your replies.

There are many reasons why I am turning to the private sector instead of public. For one, the "lesser level schools" do exactly that and provide a lesser quality of education. I have visited a few public schools and the older children in the family attend church run schools. They are not at the appropriate grade level as I believe, like the other students, they are not receiving a solid education.

I do realize the obstacles ahead, but I am sure this is the better option. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work out, but I don't want to give up on them this quickly.

Their are two children who are 5 and 6, which is part of the reason why I have chosen them over their siblings. They are at the age to start school, so why not start it off right and save problems down the road, which can be seen with their siblings. I am sure at this young age they will also integrate fairly quickly and easily with their peers, but I do recognize that socio-economic differences may come into play at some point. I don't think this should determine their eligibility, however. Not to mention, they are both very bright young learners!

As for supervision/tutoring I am looking into this to, so any suggestions for this is also appreciated. This could be teachers interested in doing tutoring, or a program existing in the area.

Thanks again!

michealkris1

Jan 24, 2010
You have very good intentions, just take it step by step. I have worked for the Department of Children and Family Services in the US....and one thing I learned working with poverty stricken families is that there are many social issues and systemic issues that will come into play especially the impact of how they interact with their nucleus family....Just be careful because believe it or not this can not only end up as a great thing for them...It also can end up bad in many different ways and then I doubt if you will be able to put those pieces back together....

Status
Not open for further replies.