Taino sites

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
Saludos,

Anyone know of any Ta?no sites one can visit? I am really looking forward to seeing artifacts in museums, but was wondering if there were any cultural tourism going on. Real would be preferred, but recreated village or what not would be interesting too.

Parque Nacional del Este was mentioned as having some cave art.

My travel base is Santiago, and I won't have a car. Any travel method safe for adult female gringas works.

Thanks,
jabuti

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Parque Nacional Los Haitises, and La Cueva de las Maravillas between SPM and La Romana for petroglyphs
Corral de los ?ndios in San Juan de la Maguana
Las caritas ?ndias near Lake Enriquillo/La Descubierta

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Speaking of caves.....for anyone in Santo Domingo, there are amazing caves along Jose Contreras near Avenida Italia. Eons ago it was where the coastline was.

Jose Contreras is a few blocks above Independencia. Heading south on Churchill, when you go down the steep hill, make a right turn on Jose Contreras and go down a mile or so, watching on the right. If coming off Anacoana on Via Italia, make a left on Jose Contreras and look UP on the left side.

They have rough staircases for the hearty with better knees than I have, haha. I must have passed them thousands of times, I should have climbed up there 30 years ago when I could have!

AE