Been in DR for 1 month, can't force myself to leave, How do I stay?

stayingindr

Apr 30, 2011
I've been in DR for 1 month so far, and i'm loving every second of it. Im planning on staying here for a lot longer. Do i need some sort of a visa to stay? or a citizenship? What should i do.

thanks!!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I've been in DR for 1 month so far, and i'm loving every second of it. Im planning on staying here for a lot longer. Do i need some sort of a visa to stay? or a citizenship? What should i do.

thanks!!

You just need to extend your VISA by paying whatever amount they are charging.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It's pretty much the Wild West here in the DR. Basically you can stay as long as you wish. They'll make you pay a fee (it's not a fine) when you leave based on how long you've been here. Your initial tourist card that you purchased when you entered the country lasts for 30 days.

From the immigration website:

JF0AJ.png

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
That is the overstay fine. IF you want to work and build a life here then you need to get your residencia so you can work. The other option is to consider opening your own business.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Look in the Legal forum. We must have 200+ threads on this topic, plus a sticky that covers EVERYTHING you could ever want to know.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'll hazard a guess, but will ask before assumption, where have you been staying for the 1 month that makes you want to drop everything and commit to this country?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If the OP is a male, there is a Domincan saying, called a "refran": "M?s jale un pelo 'e toto que un yunta de bueye'"!!!!

Be careful dude...it can get rough outthere..

HB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I know more men that have been to vacation on the northcoast and not gone home until they have spent every cent they have, than I care to remember. Men have thrown lives away for the sakes of free love on the coastal towns. It is hard to tear yourself away from the place when you have those dark smooth legs wrapped around you, but seriously, it is the ruin of more than a few.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Come on An crazy post.
It's possible to have a great time in the DR and go back enriched and motivated with the great love of a partner. Costs are very low and there are also opportunities to earn money.
Ruin? very unlikely - more likely motivation and a superb international lifestyle!
Yanandu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It certainly isn't a crazy post, anything but. Men get carried away and forget reality until the cash card tells them to sod off.
And yes, by far more people fail than succeed here, and as far as earning money? It takes more than a month to find your arse from your elbow and so I doubt money making has anything to do with the situation.

I hope I am wrong and I probably am, I have started speculating negatively which I don't like to do, so I'll stop.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Many people organize an income stream; rent out US properties, trade stocks, currencies etc. I see a lot people succeed in the DR - everywhere some will fail.
Yes, it is not wise to speculate on this situation and that is why I say the post is 'crazy' positive and negative are both possible as in any other city/country.
Yanandu

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I must just be very lazy. 2 years, no cedula, no papers. I'm just silly I guess :)

Nah, pretty normal I think. I was driving for 7 years until I found out I wasn't even legal without dominican license, which you can't get until you get residency.