Tightened Controls At Airport

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Item in the Sosua News today reports that security controls have been tightened at the POP airport. Almost certain the same is true at the other airports.

"In Sos?a the death of the world's most wanted terrorist, Osama Bin Laden, is also the talk of the day.

"But there are also fears for retaliation! Because the Dominican Repubic is affiliated to the international investigative organization Interpol, the authorities fear that the Dominican Republic could be a target for reprisals from the Al Qaeda terrorist groups. Therefore, the authorities decided to tighten security measures at airports and ports in the country. The control of prohibited items in the luggage of passengers has increased significantly, also by the customs at Gregorio Luper?n airport, the airport for tourists visiting Sos?a. "

The increase in control of prohibited items in luggage is worrisome for those of us who are not terrorists because it suggests that even more harmless stuff is going to be confiscated.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Must be 'behind the scenes' security or implemented since Friday because visible security measures were bare minimum when I went through.
No agricultural x-ray scan or checking of baggage by hand prior to check-in, saw no bags being gone thru by hand at x-ray/entrance to immigration, and saw no bags being checked at time of boarding - inspectors were there, but just talking to each other.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my friend was living a day after osama's death and her luggage has been searched both in DR and in the UK. in POP she had every single thing taken out of her carry on luggage.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Our friend was going home after 5 days, with 8 bags of coffee. They pulled her off the plane cut open each bag. Tossed them back in the suitcase and said you can get on the plane. Not that it matter. She is 56 and brought supplies down to Monkey Jungle. She was taking home coffee for people who had given.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wow, we came home with 30 bags of beans, I'd have to sit on the floor and cry if they cut them all open.

Leaving from SDQ on 2/28, we were stopped by security on the jetway - after passing the gate - and everything in my carry-on was taken out and examined, so they've been doing that since before OBL's death.

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wow, we came home with 30 bags of beans, I'd have to sit on the floor and cry if they cut them all open.

Leaving from SDQ on 2/28, we were stopped by security on the jetway - after passing the gate - and everything in my carry-on was taken out and examined, so they've been doing that since before OBL's death.

AE

My daughter left POP 1 week ago, last Monday.
The X-ray machins was off and there was no trouble going through.

My wife left SDQ last Wednesday without incident.

I left SDQ last Friday without incident, however those jetway checks were in full force as they have been for months.
There were at least 10 wheelchairs boarding that flight - they pulled 2 of them over for the "secondary" as I walked past unnoticed.:lick:

Go figure

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Our friend was going home after 5 days, with 8 bags of coffee. They pulled her off the plane cut open each bag. Tossed them back in the suitcase and said you can get on the plane. Not that it matter. She is 56 and brought supplies down to Monkey Jungle. She was taking home coffee for people who had given.
Coffee is a favorite drug smuggling method: it largely conceales the smell. There is a reason why they opened them.

Not that I agree with it. Just be aware.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Coffee is a favorite drug smuggling method: it largely conceales the smell. There is a reason why they opened them.

Not that I agree with it. Just be aware.

yah, I've had them ask me why I had so much coffee because I once filled an entire suitcase....being such a caffein junky. LOL I aslo filled my carry on with quite a bit of drink mix, tropical ya... mango ya... melon ya... it caused the security screeners to laugh when they saw that...this time, I think I'll bringing back a ton of sazon completo LOL

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary leaving SDQ on Saturday (other than a really hot baggage supervisor on the tarmac):nervous: