VOIP in LT

Sotogringo

May 24, 2011
I am living in Las Terrenas for the next 5 months, I have rented a home with a wi-fi box from Orange. But this is too inconsistent for using a VOIP phone. I need access to a cabled router that has enough speed to support a hard VOIP phone. Does anybody know of a place around LT that might rent out a space in an office which could give me access to a router? or any ex-pat operating a small business here (with internet access) who would look to share office costs?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Is the line just too slow or you think you have problem with hardware/software/connection to your router. If the line is just slow then there's not much you can do (do a speedtest.net test on it). Otherwise, if you have access to the Orange WiFi box you might find you can connect an Ethernet (network) cable to it directly (unless Orange boxes in DR don't have this - I'm not familiar with them).

Also you might like to change the Wi-Fi channel to get better speed, although I doubt the speed of your Wi-Fi from your device to the router (which normally runs at ~10-50Mbps) will cause any issues, your VoIP should work with a good ~1.5Mbps connection (so even a slow Wi-Fi is plenty) - the line speed is the important thing.

Have a little play and try a few things. My experience in DR has been the fluctuation of the line speed that drops the VoIP, and that's hard to get around....

Sotogringo

May 24, 2011
The Orange box is like a 'plug in and play' situation, it is not hard wired to the house. It is basically a sim card in wireless router which gives you enough download/upload to surf and get email (like your card in your cell phone). I can run a cable from the box but the problem is the speed for carrying data is too slow and inconsistent. The VOIP phone ( a Ringcentral number) I have needs to be directly connected to a cabled router (where it searches for an IP address) which would give it a higher consistency of data transfer thereby not causing calls to drop. I have run a speed test and it confirms my problem. I think Codetel are the only people doing this service in DR, but getting a connection to the house I am renting might take longer than the 5 months I am staying and it would also involve a 12-18 month contract. Hence, I decided to search for somebody that maybe had a little web based business set up where I could rent some office space off them enabling me to connect to their internet. Thanks for your help and taking the time to reply.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
In that case the Orange box is not connected to a broadband cable line, if using a SIM card then it must be using 3G or EDGE for data transfer. I can imagine that is not good enough for VoIP.

Good luck,

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Simple answer= upgrade your Orange NetHogar plan to "Extra", that's the one with a 25 gigs cap... It WILL do the job...
Other tip: if the blue light doesn't remain steady, unplug, take out the sim card, & put it back again, that should do.
If you do not see a blue light, you might not have optimum signal, then ask Orange for an external antenna... It WILL help to get a slightly better signal...

Last edited:

Jerbust

Oct 12, 2010
I am just back from LT today and VOIP is the business that I am in. I have been trying different scenarios while down there. I found that Oranges offering of their 3G+ service on there Flyboy is the best option for VOIP. I also tried Claro?s wired system it also works ok but not as well as Orange. From what I can gather Claro / Codetel have problems offering over 1 Meg internet in LT (I stand corrected) and the all-important ping and jitter for VOIP is shocking. I have left a VOIP phone in Big Dan?s bar for anyone to try and you are more then welcome to use this for calling the USA, Canada and most of Europe. If you need any help drop me a PM or give me a call from the phone in Big Dans, I will be back down in 5 weeks if you are still not set up