crazy hospital policy for dead babies

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
So the sister of my partner gave birth by c-sec on Saturday, the baby died tonight after 24 hours of life. The hospital won't give the body back to the mother to have funeral or whatever. I've never come across dead baby policy with regards to the body but I'd assume it would be down to the mother normally no? Public hospitals are pretty rough, I use them myself, but this seems downright heartless.

Last edited by a moderator:

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
It is common here to not release infant remains until the bill is paid. Many times because the family is poor the bill never gets paid. Life in paradise.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It is common here to not release infant remains until the bill is paid. Many times because the family is poor the bill never gets paid. Life in paradise.
Standard practice to hold patients dead or alive for ransom until the bill gets paid. Wasn't there a video posted here a few years ago of a couple of guys stealing the corpse of a beloved one from a hospital morgue and getting away on a motoconcho with it?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Standard practice to hold patients dead or alive for ransom until the bill gets paid. Wasn't there a vidoe posted here a few years ago of a couple of guys stealing the corpse of a beloved one from a hospital morgue and getting away on a motoconcho with it?
The bill for c-sec and blood was only rd$2,500 so not an issue, I'm stumped, or something is seriously wrong.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They haven't paid the bill!
END OF DEBATE!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
They haven't paid the bill! END OF DEBATE! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I find that hard to believe, they are not rich but certainly can afford that money. And wasn't really a debate, is a statement of fact, either way if it was over such small amounts of cash then not only is life cheap here, so is death, seems sick to me.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
Standard practice to hold patients dead or alive for ransom until the bill gets paid. Wasn't there a video posted here a few years ago of a couple of guys stealing the corpse of a beloved one from a hospital morgue and getting away on a motoconcho with it?

yeah there was, Muerto en La Vega, although I think the cops had killed that guy.

Them not releasing the babies body must have something to do with the bill. Ive worked here in hospitals on and off for a number of years here and that was the only reason I ever saw or heard of for this happening. The only other thing I can imagine would be some form of rare communicable disease that pathology or epidemiology is interested in, but due to the age at time of death of 24 hours old, I would imagine it was RDS or a congenital anomaly.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Baby was born alive and survived 24 hours. Don't know about the DR, but in the US if the treating physician is unable to indicate cause of death and sign death certificate, this would become a Medical Examiner's case. Has a death certificate been signed? Are they waiting for an autopsy? Is there the possibility of negligence or accident contributing to or causing death?

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
The bill for c-sec and blood was only rd$2,500 so not an issue, I'm stumped, or something is seriously wrong.

Anastacio....was the bill paid? If so then perhaps someone should go to the hospital and find out "Why" they are holding the infants remains....perhaps someone is trying to cover someone's neglect of the newborn while in the care of the hospital, rather then merely speculating the actual cause for not releasing the remains....Good luck

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's The BILL!!!!

There will be no autopsy,no "Medical Examiner",no NOTHING!

Here,if you have no medical ins.,and sometimes if you do,it's,"Pay-As You-Go", and,DEFINETLY,BEFORE-YOU=GO!
I was head of security at a medical complex in SD.Had to hold lots of patients "Hostage" until their bill was paid,or a "Plan" to pay was negotiated.
You must realize,that a Dominican will not pay a debt,if they have already received a good or service.
They bring these measures on themselves by being irresponsible.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my guess as well - unpaid bill. unpaid because the family thinks "no child, no bill" and the hospital "no bill, no child".
and i'm thinking they want a soft gringo to pay it... :speechles

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Thinking so shallow shines light on your own thoughts, **** off with the bs presumptions. We got the child and was given a respectful day, confusion of payment was the issue, but refusal to pay not the reason.

LA71009

May 13, 2009
Never mind...that's what i get for not reading the second page :-(

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thinking so shallow shines light on your own thoughts, **** off with the bs presumptions. We got the child and was given a respectful day, confusion of payment was the issue, but refusal to pay not the reason.

So the hospital thought they did not pay and held the baby until the confusion was cleared up?

Feb 7, 2007
I am just wondering...how do you hold a patient hostage? What about if the patient just puts on clothes and walks out? ... or at the most extreme of circumstances, jump out of window??? Would they just point a gun at him or what? Would they actually SHOOT him? I don't think a security guard would want to have troubles with police and justice system and go to prison because of shooting a patient! I mean, come on folks, millions of people do not pay hospital bills in the USA and as they would say "they ain't shooting nobody"! The hospital has legal options, same as in the USA, to ask for their money. They have a cedula number of the patient, don't they?

Anyway, if I was held "hostage" at a hospital (and now I mean hostage, really like with a gun pointed at me if I walk out the door), I would just cause a fire alarm to go off, and would walk away amidst the chaos.... holding patients hostage, paying for services or not, it's just purely sick.....