inverter cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
how much can I expect to pay for an inverter for a 2 bedroom house with secure box to protect the batteries?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i think that you can do cheaper than that, if you go with dominican made inversor, and cheaper batteries. but i'm not down there now to shop. check the local papers..........most places in the DR have inversors, and they can't afford to pay for an ice cream cone, they are out there if you have time to shop..........also you want to look into solar panels to charge those batteries, charging batteries ain't cheap when you use the local elctric co.,,,it can be the most expensive electric vampire in the house. also, make sure your inversor has an OFF switch, you may go away for a weekend or week and those batteries are still being charged and just because you turned off all the lights don't mean the inversor isn't sucking juice...............

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
$1000-1300 plus installation for a Dominican 35/24 inverter, 4 batteries, cabling and installation, PLUS the cost of the cage.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How much time is the power on? What will be powered by the inverter?

Some good advice so far.

I will comment that while I like the "concept" of using solar panels and or wind turbines, I have studied their use and find them completely impractical regarding their cost amortized over time unless you have no possible power grid connection or simply don't care how much installing them costs. It would take a prohibitive number of solar panels to supply the 500 kWh I use monthly.

One important question is: How many hours per day do you have power from the utility?

Another is, what exactly are you planning to power from the inverter/battery system?

Nov 10, 2010
i think that you can do cheaper than that, if you go with dominican made inversor, and cheaper batteries. but i'm not down there now to shop. check the local papers..........most places in the DR have inversors, and they can't afford to pay for an ice cream cone, they are out there if you have time to shop..........also you want to look into solar panels to charge those batteries, charging batteries ain't cheap when you use the local elctric co.,,,it can be the most expensive electric vampire in the house. also, make sure your inversor has an OFF switch, you may go away for a weekend or week and those batteries are still being charged and just because you turned off all the lights don't mean the inversor isn't sucking juice...............

is that right?????????? wow i had no idea that once the batteries were full they will suck more 'juice'

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
On off switch

A on off or disconnect switch is advisable. But a good system should shut down automaticly when the battery's are fully charged. Otherwise tou can overcharge or "cook" the battery's and reduce the capacity / amp hour rating. When fully charged the system shold only monitor the battery level of charge.

mardonius

Sep 13, 2008
Can you buy USA inverter and use in DR

What If you buy the inverter in the usa and bring it to the DR would it matter?

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Depending where you are going to be you might need a voltage regular. where I live the voltage is 90 volts and that will burn out many electronics

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
We just bought a system from Papaterra in Sosua, 2.5KW + 4 Trojan (Black) Batteries RD$ 31,500 including all the cables and installation. Works just as well as my Trace system which cost twice as much. PM me if you want more advice

Status
Not open for further replies.