Temporary Worker Visa- Canada...any experience?

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
We have helped to secure a friend a job in the hotel industry in Canada. With the LMO (Canada OK'ing the job offer) and formal offer of employment, he then has to apply for Temporary Worker Visa through Santo Domingo. The only other incidence of this I see in the forums is an unsuccessful attempt in 2006-07.
Does anyone know of ANYONE who was successful in obtaining a TWV to Canada? Please tell me there is someone!

Celtic Queen

Jun 19, 2010
There was a Dominican teaching dance classes, temporarily, in Truro, Nova Scotia. I assume, therefore, that he had obtained a TWV...good luck!

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Those people from Truro are like no other. So hospitable and accepting. I miss them.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
guardedly

With glowing hearts we see thee rise, The True North strong and free! From far and wide, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
You'll have to prove, "its a job a Canadian resident or citizen couldn't do" unfortunately...
Unless he wants to pick fruit in the Niagara Vine land...

Celtic Queen

Jun 19, 2010
The only thing I would be concerned about maurmcgee, is that even after that LMO is completed and it has been determined that there is a need in a particular field, the applicant is still required to meet the same standards as the regular joe: they have to prove they have the ties to the DR, have to prove that they will actually leave Canada at the end of their stay, have to prove they have enough money to support themselves while in Canada, etc, etc. It's never an easy process and especially since so many Dominicans before him/her have cut and run once they came to Canada, TRVs are particularly hard to obtain. And it really seems like there is no rhyme or reason to their refusals. Keep the faith though, you just never know if you'll be one of the lucky ones!!

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
The temporary workers visa really doesn't provide a place to prove those things...other than having enough money to suppoert themselved while in Canada. How does one prove those things? He doesn't own property, but does have a mother he helps to support. I am not sure what else we should include other than what they are asking for...it is a complex thing...if you were guaranteed an interview perhaps that would help but as I understand they can deny right from the application without even allowing an interview. Now the TWV's can be for up to 4 years which is what the employer is asking for, and he will have a solid job offer from a very reputable company, so I hope that helps.

Celtic Queen

Jun 19, 2010
I know, none of it really makes too much sense. People I know have been trying for 2 years to bring their friend (and friend only) to Canada. They reapplied last Tuesday, included his ownership papers of his vehicles, a letter from his boss (it's a TRV for a holiday they are after), letters from members of his community, and family letters. On the Canadian end they sent an official letter of invite, registration forms for events here at the time they want him to come, letters from other people (other than the official invitee) saying how much they want him to come for a certain period of time. Additionally they sent bank statements to prove he would be provided for while here and he got a medical, plus a criminal check. He was told to go back this coming Tuesday. I know it's a different visa, but when you have to prove the same things, I guess it's comparable. I hope everything works out for you...keep us posted! :)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
There are basically 2 things which are the crux of a worker visa application, 1) that is a bona fide job offer that the applicant is qualified for and 2) that the applicant has sufficient ties to their home country - which could reasonably satisfy the officer that the applicant will return to their country at the end of their authorized stay.

For proof that the offer is bona fide, and that the applicant is qualified, I would suggest to submit proof of any relevant education, i.e proof of diploma from hotel school, proof of language training, especially that of english or french, but other languages can also be relevant, any other certificates.

For proof that the applicant will leave at the end of their stay, this is a little trickier, as there is no time machine which will take someone to the future to prove this. If the applicant has familly that helps, property, or job prospects, those would be considered sufficient ties. However, often jop prospects are compared directly to canada's.

Best way to proceed I believe would be to strengthen the job qualifications aspect, if this is strong and they have doubts about the intent to leave, they should call an interview. Where if the applicant behaves normally, is honest and straight forward, chances are good, for instance, the person should have a plausible plan for what to do when the contract is done. Perhaps an offer from a hotel upon chain upon their return would be good, or having a good answer i.e " I plan to save up and open my own XXX business in the dominican republic" or "foreign experience is looked highly upon, I can secure I higher paying job when I return from Canada.

I would have to take a look at the application form, and required supporting documents, but that is for the most part what you need. There is no mandatory interview, so the best you can do is make it look great on paper.

I believe that there is about a 50-60% approval rating for work permits, and about 65-70% approval rating for visitor visas.

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
This is extremely helpful. I hadn't thought about the language training aspect of it...will follow up on that. And it is a highly regarded hotel that is hiring him, that has successfully hired foreign workers before so hopefully that will be a strong point. This is the link to the application package if you care to have a look. Application to Work in Canada: Work Permits

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
Just an update to this thread, application was submitted last Thursday in Santo Domingo, appointment to pick up Visa for this Thursday so we will know by then. Still guardedly hopeful.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
My brother in law was successful in getting a 2 week TWV to come to and perform at an event this past August. We had received a positive LMO for him. He has applied for an extension since then, which may take 90 days to process, and he now here legally, but in limbo and may go back shortly anyway. We also have a LMO for a nephew to come as a skilled foreign worker. He is now trying to get his english up to snuff in order to pass the language test, the positive results must accompany his application for Canadian permanent residence. Good Luck to you.

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
He has passed the interview now and is going for his medical. All is looking good for a successful temporary worker visa to come here. We are so excited, just awaiting the medical end of things now. Does anyone know how long it takes for the doctor to send in the medical results? He was told after the results are in, only 15 days to get the actual paperwork to come to Canada.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Congratulations! I'm just coming into this thread now, but happy it's all working out! :D One thing...where in Canada is he based? I only ask cause as an Ottawan (is that a word? :p ) I tell you the winters are nothing like you see in postcards ;) All that being said, best country ever...not that I'm biased or anything ;)))

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Medicals take a few weeks to be processed and results sent to the embassy. I would anticipate anywhere from 3-6 weeks before you would hear anything.

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
Thanks Sangria, for that information. He will be based in Nova Scotia, and I had hoped would get here before the winter set in :ermm: He will have lots of support from us in getting through it though :)