Productos Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua-News:

"Once the meat and dairy products factory 'Productos Sos?a' was the pride of the inhabitants of the town. A job with the company was in great demand. It meant fixed working hours and one and a half days off a week, paid vacation and a twelfth month's salary at Christmas. Overtime was paid extra. Even today everybody still has good memories about the great annual festivals celebrated at Christmas with a raffle and great prizes such as TVs, washing machines and stereos.

"The company also had a good pension and medical care and offered child care. They also provided scholarships to talented pupils. A decade ago, the company was sold by the last owner, Mr. Herman Strauss, to the Mexican 'Sigma Alimentos' company. Then every thing changed at the company. Part of the production moved elsewhere (Santiago?). The production machinery was not renewed and the maintenance is poor. The traditional and highly estimated social services for the staff disappeared totally. Currently, the residents living in the vicinity complain about a terrible odor. According to the TV program 'Detras del Rumor' the burden of the stench is so bad that the Environment Ministry must intervene."

I don't live close enough to smell it, fortunately, but there have been times when I was out and about that I did. Very glad not to be nearby.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where is it located?

Just as you are leaving Sosua headed toward Cabarete. you pass the Productos Sosua supermarket on the right and a plaza on the left. Next to Productos Sosua, on the Cabarete side, is the factory in question.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just as you are leaving Sosua headed toward Cabarete. you pass the Productos Sosua supermarket on the right and a plaza on the left. Next to Productos Sosua, on the Cabarete side, is the factory in question.

Hasn't been too bad lately but I remember a few years ago, most everyone in the restaurant we where in got up and left. A 2 week floater doesn't smell that bad. I agree with Ken, Productos Sosua used to be the place to work.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
From today's Sosua-News:

"Once the meat and dairy products factory 'Productos Sos?a' was the pride of the inhabitants of the town. A job with the company was in great demand. It meant fixed working hours and one and a half days off a week, paid vacation and a twelfth month's salary at Christmas. Overtime was paid extra. Even today everybody still has good memories about the great annual festivals celebrated at Christmas with a raffle and great prizes such as TVs, washing machines and stereos.

"The company also had a good pension and medical care and offered child care. They also provided scholarships to talented pupils. A decade ago, the company was sold by the last owner, Mr. Herman Strauss, to the Mexican 'Sigma Alimentos' company. Then every thing changed at the company. Part of the production moved elsewhere (Santiago?). The production machinery was not renewed and the maintenance is poor. The traditional and highly estimated social services for the staff disappeared totally. Currently, the residents living in the vicinity complain about a terrible odor. According to the TV program 'Detras del Rumor' the burden of the stench is so bad that the Environment Ministry must intervene."

I don't live close enough to smell it, fortunately, but there have been times when I was out and about that I did. Very glad not to be nearby.

Dont know about the working and social conditions, but they had to move the production to Santiago, it was impossible to continue there, it would have been much cheaper to bulldoze the whole thing and build something new rather than renovate the existing factory.I did an inspection there once about 10 years ago, had to walk with an umbrella inside as the rain was pooring through the roof in the production areas, not to mention the state of the cooling facilities.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
"Valuable" land

Ten years ago, Strauss's empire was making its money through Casa Marina (after Coralillos and Larimar were knocked out of competition by the AI infestation of tourism on the North Coast). Sosua could no longer support boutique or first class hotels. For a very short time, Sosua real estate was valuable. Strauss had little or no interest in maintaining the Jewish history of Sosua or the DORSA tradition and we lost Casa Grande, which he shared with Ponciano Rondon after the death of Thomas Philipp and Productos Sosua, which he sold with no payout to the original shareholders (that I know of). Money has no morality or sense of history. No one could afford to maintain quality product. Many workers suffered in the transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.