Troglodyte

D

Doug

Please excuse my ignorance, could someone please take the time to tell me the meaning of the word "troglodyte" and also give me the proper way to pronouce it. I have taken the time to look it up in the dictionary and have not been able to find it. Thanks Doug

R

rabbble rouser

doug, from webster's new world dictionary......

troglodyte: from L>troglodyta> Gr.>troglodytes one who creeps into holes, cave dweller<trogle, a hole, cave (<trogein, to gnaw) + dyein, to creep in, enter

1. a member of an ancient or prehistoric people that lived in caves, cave man; hence
2a) a hermit,recluse; b) anyone who lives in a primitive, low or degenerative fashion.
3) an anthropoid ape as a chimpanzee or gorilla

pronunciation--best as i can without using any accent keys on the keyboard: trawg-low-dite

bonus points to anyone who can remember the brit?rock song/group from the sixties using this word!

E

EW

Trog-lo-dyte
1: A member of a primitive people dwelling in caves.
2: A person resembling a troglodyte ( as in reclusive habits or outmoded or reactionary attitudes).
Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary tenth edition

C

CES

Re: Troglodyte. . . (R.R. :)

I LOVE IT! . . . "The BIG BOOK With all the Words" in it. . . {:^)

Regards,

. . . CES

T

Tgf

Kudos to you Doug. There is nothing wrong with asking for clarification in the quest for more knowledge. At least some good came out of a thread loaded with stereotyping and closed minds.
As for the British rock band...could it be The Trogs? Or was it The Troggs. I believe they did a version of "Wild Thing"... Wild Thing/I really love you/I want to know you name...

The song was a three chord wonder but stuck with you. Boy, am I dating myself or what?

S

sharon

I am not sure I have this right, but it may give you a lead or two to follow.

I seem to remember that a trolodyte is somewhat akin to a cro-magnon or other *cave man* type of homo erectus (mankind)...I keep remembering something about comic books and the *Alley Oop* cartoon strip. I don't know whether it is a real anthropological *species* or a made up word by the the artist of *Alley Oop*.

I'm sure some other of us old geezers (male or female) will have a better or more detailed recollection.

S

sharon

I can remember the group and the word being in a song, but after that I'm lost...;-))...

T

Tgf

Re: Troglodyte (Sharon)

Actually, the term troglodyte just is a generic term for either cave dweller or as I was implying a person with a reactionary or outdated view.

It is not a subspecies or species of hominid or protohominid.
The list of those is something like this (as each new find is discovered the evolutionary tree is being rethought).

Australopithecines >Homo habilus(?)> Homo erectus > Homo sapiens + Homo neaderthalensis (?) or Homo sapiens neaderthalensis > and finally, Homo sapiens sapiens (Cro-magnon and ourselves). Most of us have evolved, but some modern humans suffer from "delayed evolutionary syndrome." (?) = open to scientific debate about whether or not it should be considered a separate species or not.

S

sharon

*........ Most of us have evolved, but some modern humans suffer from "delayed evolutionary syndrome." (?) = open to scientific debate about whether or not it should be considered a separate species or not.....*

I love it!........;-)))........

C

Ch9icacagoChris

Yeah, it was the Trogs. "You make everything baby, ooooh, a wild thing." God am I old.

M

mkohn

Isn't it

you make everything, groovy!
it rhymes with 'you move me.'
Doesn't the movie Major League with Charlie Sheen feature cuts from this song, because Charlie's character a pitcher is kind of 'wild'.
Anybody remember 'hooked on a feeling'??? Yes, I'm old too! mk

R

rabble rouser

Re: Isn't it

funny, i was thinking the same thing. but i just couldn't remember if it was tim robbins in "bull durham" or charlie.

poor tgf, not only does he have "wild thing" stuck in his mind, now he will have the image of charlie trying to act flashing through as well.

C

ChicacagoChris

Re: Isn't it

Yup. It was Charlie Sheen and the song was "Wild Thing". The Cubs had a left handed pitcher named Mitch Williams who was also known as Wild Thing. And yes, I do remember "Hooked on a Feeling". Was that B.J. Thomas?

T

trina

mkohn

Hooked on a feeling, by Blue Suede. Revisited in The Reservoir Dogs, like a lot of other great oldies like Little Green Bag, Stuck in the Middle With You (Steeler's Wheel?), and that Coconut song.
You're not old, it's still kinda hip.

S

sharon

Re: mkohn

Am I the only one who remembers *Alley Opp*? I must be really ancient!....;-))...

H

hlywud

Jimmy Castor Bunch is the group

Actually the title is Troglodyte(Cave Man), I found it on Napster and downloaded it, but can figure out how to attach it.

M

mkohn

Re: mkohn

Those were the days... The older version of Hooked on a Feeling is what I was thinking of. Here's for the 'ooga chuckka' version!
Is the coconut song 'put the lime in the coconut, and drink 'em boht up...'?