Studying in DR?!

M

Minttu

I just came back from my 4th visit to DR and all I can say is that I really love that place... Anyway, I just finished my high school here in Finland and I?ve planned to go back "home"... I?ve studied Spanish for 3 years and I wish to learn more. Could anyone tell me about universities and my possibilties over there? I?d really appreciate your help - this?s more than important to me...

H

Henry

We do have Universities over here, but as far as I know none of the degrees are accepted in other countries apart from the DR! So why not finish your education in Finnland ore anywhere else and came back later???

Henry

N

Natasha

What do you mean by: "none of the degrees are accepted in other countries apart from the DR!"

T

Tgf

I used to certify international transfer degrees when I was at the University of Florida. I worked as the Graduate Research Fellow for the Dean of Graduate Studies and this was one of the "duties as assigned." We accepted many Dominican degrees as equivalent to four year undergraduate studies degrees from U.S. institutions. This was for admission into Master's and Ph.D. programs. Most Dominican degrees from accredited institutions of higher learning are accepted internationally. Professional degreees such as law, dentistry, or medicine depend on whether or not you can pass the national or state board required tests administered by whatever foreign country, state, or province you are moving to later.

M

Marilyn

That is definitely not true, my husband has a Bachelor degree from Universidad Central del Este and it was accepted in New York in Fordham University when he applied to be admitted into the Masters program. It was also validated by the NYC Board of Education and he's been a teacher in the NYC Public School system since 1991, based on that Bachelor degree from DR.

N

Natasha

Re: Studying in DR?! (Thank you!!!)

Tgf, what you have posted is certainly correct! I was asking Henry what he meant (maybe he knows of a new policy I am not aware of these days?) in order to give him a bit more time to research this topic. Even though most of the Dominicans that I know (including myself) did their graduate studies in American universities, they came here with degrees from Dominican universities. When I was working on my PhD coursework, I too was hired as a Graduate Student Researcher assisting two professors in my department as well as "helping out" with a visiting scholars program. A few Dominicans came through the program as I recall. Also, other Dominicans came to do Master's and PhD degrees in various areas such as sociology, engineering, economics, and international affairs. How then Henry, do you explain the the number (albeit not too large) of Dominicans doing graduate work in the US? Some even come here with LASPAU and Fulbright scholarships, by the way...just in case you write that no Dominicans have ever been granted these prestigious scholarships.

Regards,
Natasha

H

hillbilly

Dear Minttu: You have a good selection->

In the South there is Pedro Henriquez Urena (UNPHU) and INTEC, both well established universities, as well as the Pontifical Catholic University Madre y Maestra, perhaps the most famous of the private universities, as well as the first one to offer degrees in Economics, Nursing, Education, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Geology and Mining, Social Work and others.

In the North there is the main campus of the PUCMM, which offers a full range of studies: www.pucmmsti.edu.do. Included in these studies are Dentistry and Medicine, which as tgf has clearly stated require you to pass your own nation's requirements. I can tell you that a large number of the dentists in Spain are from here as well as doctors....There are dozens in the United States as well...

What Natasha said is quite correct.
If you wish to study here, you will probably be quite successful.
As a footnote, did you know that there is a very small but growing Finnish population here?? Some date from before the II World War (Lectonen, Mustonen, Soni are three that I know of), others are more recent...

HB

P.S. Folks, if this young lady comes here to study she will be much older than most of her classmates, that is a given. Here, most freshmen are in their mid teens, 16-17, with a few 18 year olds... The European/Nordic curriculum is quite intense, with emphasis on reading and writing and math., If she can keep the guys away for long enough she will do great class work and get a good degree....

D

Dan

Help

Hi, I have a bachelors degree from FIU in psychology does anyone know if i can get my PHD in the Dominican Repubic, and get my degree accepted here in the U.S. ?

H

Henry

I think I got missunderstood - the way minttu is asking, she was heading for a professional (or master - how this is called in the american region) degree and therefore (only therefore!) I recomended her to finish it up in Europe, as the DR professional final degrees (or how they are called, I am not american) are not accepted in Europe and, as others confirmed, not in the USA aswell, only with a additional examination! Furthermore I may can imagen very well, that if someone studies Law in one country, it would hardly be accepted in others, as depending on the subject there are huge differences in the basics! If she wants to go back to Europe (one day), she might be better of finishing her professional course over there!

This is just my recomendation!

Henry

I

ivan erickson

HB and others posted accurate and informed responses. I am surprised by Henry's reaction. I am currently writing form The US. A native dominican, came here with a degree from The Catholic University before it was PUCMM. I went on to other advanced degrees and decided to stay. A group of my friends in my graduating class as well as subsequent graduates have gone on to fellowships and teaching positions all over the country. I keep in touch with a few of them. If you you are a serious student and you go to a reputable university you should have no problems having your degree validated anywhere. While it may not be known to some, it is certainly a fact. Keep those pretenders away though. Good luck!