Manx Cat

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK..... after yet another death.... The cat died in neutering... after the dog... my graveyard is getting full.

Three animals since April.................YUK !!!

I have anew Manx which will be transplanted into Cabrera.
I'm not up to speed on cats....

Suggestions?????

Neutering will not be in RD.... can they fly ????

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Jeez...three? Wow!

I'd take them to Dr. Gruillon in Santiago. He's who I'll be taking my female Jack Russell to be spayed...

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
William,
"Neutering will not be in RD.... can they fly ???? " are you sure they're not ducks ? cats don't fly to my knowledge, we have three very smart ones and the best I've seen them do is jump off the deck.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Really, I got the injection for my bitch in Jarabacoa, its easy cheap and stops the sex wars n blood! I can't be doing with open surgery in this heat, the repair time is where they pick up the infections due to humidity.
My bitch is happy with an injection, so is my bank and me!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if i was operated in DR so can a cat :)
seriously, i had our cats fixed in DR and they did just fine. sometimes it is just pure bad luck. i am sorry for your loses so far, we also had lost few of our kitties so i know if feels bad.
cats normally do not fly but i would not put it past them, when noms are considered ;)

if you want to bring your kitteh here after neutering op wait about a week until it heals properly. make it two weeks to be sure. then they should be able to travel by the plane. check with airlines because sometimes they do not permit animals to travel during summertime, unless they are with you in a cabin.

god luck, abrazo for the kitteh, i hope it goes well!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~William so sorry for yet another loss....very difficult to lose a loved one, especially so unexpected....I read this and thought perhaps it would be helpful to you...Good Luck with your new Manx

Traveling with Your Cat by Airplane
Flying with cats is not as hard as it sounds. If your cat can nap, your cat can fly. Learning how to travel with your cat on an airplane helps you to create a safe, predictable and calm passage for your kitty when the fur flies. Prepare well in advance:

For cats that will travel in cabin, buy an airline-approved airplane pet carrier. The best cat carriers for airplane travel for your pet are durably sewn with lots of air vents, a zippered top and side exit door, a soft, removable bottom pad and several flat internal and external pockets. Resist the temptation to buy a "designer" carrier. The flash draws undesirable attention.

For cats that will travel in cargo, buy a sturdy, airline-approved cargo crate with a good latch on the door. It should have detachable food and water receptacles. Since cats are small, it is inadvisable that they ride in cabin. Only for multiple cats who will share a container, or irrepressibly vociferous cats, is this an advisable method.

Both carriers should have an attachment for paperwork and name tags. Use the airplane pet carrier to transport your cat to various destinations prior to flight. It is best if these destinations terminate simply in a return to home, or a visit to a friend the cat likes. If you use the airline carrier to take your cat to the vet, such journeys will engender fear and loathing.

Gradually increase the duration of the time in the carrier, taking longer journeys to a desirable destination. Include a toy in the carrier, but avoid food since cats generally should not eat on airplane rides. (Water may be advisable for cats traveling in cargo on longer flights.)

Keep the carrier open in the house and put enticing cat toys (not treats) in it to make your cat happy to enter the bag. Never use this carrier as a day crate.

When Booking Flights:
Make sure to choose an airline that permits cats and clarify if your cat will travel in cabin or in cargo. Cargo is restricted during some times of the year for some airlines. Most importantly, when booking, obtain a locator number for your cat that is associated with your seat number.

Starter Trips:
If an itinerant lifestyle is part of your plan for your cat, take a short flight of one hour to a nearby destination as a starter flight. Your cat will learn that the long wait ends in eventual release from the carrier and will be better prepared for an upcoming long flight.

Food And Meds In Flight:
Feed your cat at least five hours in advance of travel and avoid water for your cat within one hour of flight. (Water may be advisable for cats traveling in cargo on long flights.) For cats traveling in cabin, you may offer ice cubes or a sip of water toward the end of the flight as needed.

If your cat regularly takes meds, schedule the doses according to the travel schedule. Remember that you will have to show up at least an hour before the flight and from the point of entering the airport, your cat will be in the carrier.

Unless your vet says otherwise, tranquilizers are not advisable for high altitudes. Train, don't drug, your pet into being a good traveler.

Bladder And Bowels:
Try to keep things calm before the flight at home so your cat uses the litter box normally. Your cat will not be able to evacuate from the point you leave home to the point you arrive at the new home or hotel unless he is trained to walk on a leash. Most cats do not evacuate while on a leash and most prefer to use a box. ALWAYS make sure your cat is secure in the carrier or crate and does not bolt. Keep the door closed until you are in an enclosed space. Cats are very slippery when scared. Keep your cat's ID collar on in flight (minus extra easily-snagged charms and ornaments). If you must take him out, hold extra tight. Traffic around airports is intense and extremely dangerous.

In The Airport Building:
Flying with cats is less worrisome to airline personnel than security. For cats traveling in cargo in a crate, the check-in counter will advise you where to deliver your cat for transport. For cats flying in cabin, you will carry him through gate security and you must remove him from his carrier and personally carry him through the metal detectors, allowing his bag to go through the x-ray machine. NEVER allow your cat to pass through the x-ray machine when going to the gates. It is not permitted and is highly dangerous. And when holding you cat in this passage, hold tight. They are escape artists.

Documentation:
When traveling, make sure your cat's rabies inoculations are up to date and keep a vet's health record in your travel paperwork.

On The Plane:
Slide your carrier under the seat in front, check on your cat now and then but avoid exciting him to make him feel he will be let out. For cats traveling in cargo, you will be advised where to pick them up when you check them in.

\

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thank you jrjrth........... I'll start a little training program.

When flying with animals, I try to fly from Canada.... WestJet is affordable and willing to handle pets.
Heat embargo from May 1 to Oct 31.......... $50/pet........ pretty simple.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Thank you jrjrth........... I'll start a little training program.

When flying with animals, I try to fly from Canada.... WestJet is affordable and willing to handle pets.
Heat embargo from May 1 to Oct 31.......... $50/pet........ pretty simple.

~Check with the airlines, if the cat is small enough you may be able to keep it under your seat in an approved cat carrier...this is better then the cargo hold.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, she can go under the seat...... still $50.
The dog goes below..... only the below animals are subject to the heat embargo.

I'm trying to rebuild the menagerie....

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I would fly all animals, cats or dogs in cargo, much more quite for them, no people wandering around, its dark so they tend to fall asleep much easier once in flight and its cooler then been put under a passenger seat.