DRIVERS LICENSE FOR EXTRANJEROS?

E

El Musico

I have been here for 4 months now, and one day a cop stopped me...he asked for my passport, but i just had a copy,and he then asked me how long i had been here...well, at that time, it was just 2 months...anyway, he said I needed to have a license from here to drive after staying for 3 months, but he gave me a break and let me go...this was in the capital, on San Vicente by Los Mina. So how do I get a license from here?

Has anyone gone through this process? How much is it? Does it take a long time?

Also, if I plan to stay until Christmas, do I need some kind of visiting visa?

Thanks in advance!

L

lil sam

you can get one by going to obras publicas the easyest way so you dont have to wait in line is to pay a runner to do the leg work.makes it a lot easyer though you have to pay a lil to get it done saves a day of lines !!

H

Henry

Well, and you would have to make a theory test - in spanish! Plus medical examination etc. (unless they changed that!) I stayed in the country for 5 month first and when somebody stopped me, I just was here for two weeks or so, so nobody bothered!

So you can choose!

Henry

E

Eddy

Unless things have changed, you need residence and a cedula, pay the appropriate fee at Banco de Reservo, obtain a blood type certificate from the Red Cross, go to obras publico to take the theory test (In Spanish). You will obtain a temporary (Same rules as back home)permit. 30 days later, you go back, take the driving test and get you licence.

A

azb

Got D.R driving license today

Just got my license today (took the practical exam)
I live here so I have had my cedula, I am not sure if that is really needed in case you are not a resident here. I am an extranjero and have American license. I went to the banco de reserva and paid the appropriate fees for the appropriate papers (they know what you need). Also try to get a revista for your car (a sticker on the windshield, RD$ 35 pesos); if you will take to practical test in your own car, but that won?t be needed until much later when you take the practical exam.
Now go to the obras publicas (like motor vehicle dept). There you show your papers from the bank that you have paid the fees. Then the woman will direct you to a table where a nurse will poke a pin in your finger to take a drop of a blood sample and perform a blood type test. That takes 5 mins. Now wait in long line to take a written exam. Its in Spanish so act stupid and have the computer lab assistant help you with explaining the Spanish words. He will most likely get fed up with you and will simply give you the answers. Just be nice to him or if he gives hint that he wants some money, slide him a few bucks outside. If you do that, then insist that he should help you get through the picture taking process quickly without waiting in line.
So now you take a picture and they will hand you a learning license. Good for 45 days. But only after 45 days you go back to take the practical.
Here is what you do. Go to placio de Justicia (court) and get a form or a letter for the buena conducta from the police (stating that you are a good and unwanted civilian). They will let you know what else is needed. I hired a runner to do this for me and he charged me 400 pesos in fees and wanted 200 hundred for his work. I only gave him 100 pesos because he wanted to rip me off for about 750 pesos on other BS fees. So stay away from the professional runners who are waiting for people like you outside the building. They will even show you their ID card that they work inside but its all BS and a money making scam.
Return to obras publica with the paper-work after 45 days. Now you are ready for the practical exam. Find out where you have to go to take it. In Santiago, its in stadium cibao. Make sure you must have the insurance, metricula of your car (title), a revista sticker that you bought from banco de reserva (if not.. then buy one from a guy there for 50 pesos). There are guys selling the stickers there. Without any of the things listed above, you will not be allowed to take the exam. Stay away from the runners; they were asking for bribe for the police, inspector and other involved persons. After talking to the police officer I was instructed to point out the fellow (ofcourse, he was long gone). I was told that it was a scam and the workers for the dept. of vechicles don?t see a penny of the money that the runner was charging. In-fact, they expedited my work quickly for handling the process in a legal fashion. The test was a joke; anyone with one eye closed and one arm tied to the back can pass it.
Now you are set to go back to obras publico and take another picture to get a real license.
Again, if you don?t take the papers for your car (ex: insurance, title revista etc..) you will not be allowed to use your own car for the exam and instead will be required to hire a beat-up pick-up truck (without the power steering and without anything).
Enjoy. Good luck