UNIBE Hotel & Tourism Diploma evaluation possible?

Tecc

Jun 5, 2011
I'm considering going to UNIBE university in cap cana for hotel & tourism degree, although I need to know whether i can evaluate the diploma in US, or is it only valid for DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think the word you want is "evaluate"...but never mind. University degrees from recognized universities in the DR are recognized in the rest of the world to a greater or lesser degree.

Hotel and Restaurant Management is basically "Who you know and Where did you train" profession. From afar, I would say that Unibe should produce a pretty good product, given the fact that they own Cap Cana and Unibe...

My only reservation is that latest reports from that end of the island indicate a marked lack of activity there.

HB

Tecc

Jun 5, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess recognize would be the right term used here. Do you by any chance if Santo Domingo has equal diplomas for hotel and tourism? If cap cana is such a dead place it might be better to go to SD.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Google "Transcript Evaluation Services"

There are many places in the US that provide this service, after the fact. Don't know if contacting them beforehand would also be helpful. The one that I am familiar with is in Texas, there are many others.

FCSA - Home

They actually evaluate the transcript and compare it to an equivalent program in the US, not just a translation.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There is a N. Amer. university, Johnson & Wales University, of Providence, RI, specializing in hospitality and culinary arts. It had set up shop in La Romana a few years ago in association with Costa Victoria cruises. You may want to investigate if they have a degree program. A degree if offered would have no problem being accepted in the US.

Regards,

PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PUCMM-Santo Tomas de Aquino Campus has a very successful program in Hotel Management, or something like that...they have placed students the world over.
If there is a Johnson and Wales Institute, go for it! They are quite well known.

HB

alexovalles

Aug 22, 2011
My girlfriend is currently studying hospitality at Cap Cana and she's really happy. If you're looking forward to focus on culinary that's definitively the place. She practices a lot @ the hotel's kitchen with some of their chefs and for the moment, there's no other school on DR with those type of resources. Haven't heard of a Johnson and Wales Institute here...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is really good to know. The Hotel and Restaurant Management courses/degrees at Unibe and {PUCMM} usually send their students for long stays in hotels, almost all over the world.
One of the great features and at the same time one of the great disadvantages of a career in that field is that almost constant movement is part of the game plan...one of my godchildren is now manager at a great Sandal's hotel in Cuba!!

HB