We want to buy or build a two story home in Santo Domingo

dominicanfamily

Aug 21, 2011
We are a hardworking Dominican family living abroad.We have saved some money and we wish to buy or build a economic home in Santo Domingo.
Our budget is RD$3.000.000 max. (3 million dominican pesos)
We are looking for a nice economic home in a nice residential area with friendly quiet local people.
We are not interested in buying a home near:
- a military base or caba?as like Autopista San Isidro or
- in noicy places with a lot of poverty and crime
- or in a place too far away from public transportation and stores
Can someone recommend me a reliable construction company, broker or website?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Forget about building a house. just the land in a good area would be more than 3 million.
Your best choice is an apartment. you can find some apartments in that range of price, but not many in a good area in Districto Nacional. Mirador Norte and Sur prices starting at 140K for a 2br.
Santo Domingo Este and West has lot of new quiet neigborhood with houses and condos for around 3 millions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you had better understand things here. RD$3,000,000 might buy you a place in one of the nicer barrios, but never in a decent neighborhood. You might find an apartment in one of the "Multis" for that price.

At current costs three million with build you a 100 m2 house, with no furnishings, no electricity or water, no fences, not much of anything.

Relax for a while and keep adding to your savings. Think outside Santo Domingo. Maybe a campo of San Cristobal or Monte Plata. Then your money will go further. You had better research this a lot more by coming down and looking at alternatives.

Cordially,

HB

dominicanfamily

Aug 21, 2011
Thanx for your advise hillbilly. We have been to DR several times searching for houses. Vamos a ver...que hacemos. We dont want to make a bad investment.

dominicanfamily

Aug 21, 2011
We have been thinking about buying an apartment in Bella Vista or El Millon and those places. But the thing is that we dont consider an apartment to be the same like owning your own peace of land. You have to pay a "servicio de mantenimiento" each month and this money ends up in someone else's pocket instead of maintaining the building clean and painted. Or are we wrong? We have seen some apartments who look good on the inside but bad on the outside.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My aunt is selling a one floor house, meaby twenty years old on Calle Euclides Morillos in front of santo Domingo tennis Club Arroyo Hondo Santo Domingo RD $ 12,000.000. (Doce milloncitos de pesitos Dominicanos)
Her name is Mila and the phone number is 809-555- cicnco cinco sin corriente..

JJ

Mar 3, 2011
We have been thinking about buying an apartment in Bella Vista or El Millon and those places. But the thing is that we dont consider an apartment to be the same like owning your own peace of land. You have to pay a "servicio de mantenimiento" each month and this money ends up in someone else's pocket instead of maintaining the building clean and painted. Or are we wrong? We have seen some apartments who look good on the inside but bad on the outside.

That doesn't happen in a place like Bella Vista or El Millon. It's actually cheaper to live in an apartment with "servicio de mantenimiento" than: find your own generator and fill it up yourself, find a gardner if your gonna have a patio or do it yourself, same thing with the pool, fumigation, repaint the walls, i bet you'll need a plomber along the way too. 3million isn't gonna get you a house in Bella Vista nor El millon or arroyo hondo or cacicazgos. Maybe Los Prados.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Neither in los Prados, maybe Santo Domingo Este or not so good parts od million II. We have seen at least 25 houses past year ranging from 6500000 till 13000000. All depends of what is acceptable for you but 3000,000 is going to be difficult

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
This one is for sale, located at Embujo tercero Santiago.
fotodecrystal238.jpg

The owner is asking RD $ 3,000000.00 but I'm sure he will go down a little bit as the house have been in the market 12 months now.

I sold this house in 2008 in one week.

JJ

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
A Dominican friend of mine did the following. He goes back often to visit family. He decided he wanted a home there so he also took side trips to find land. He found a piece of land that he liked and bought it. Then he did the construction piece by piece over time (basement, first floor, second floor, done) That way he didnt have to empty out his life savings in one project at one time.

Another thing is that you have to be there to get a deal you really want. Deals pop up from time to time with the connections you make. Deals on land, or already built homes. Sometimes people are in need of cash and want to unload their properties

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Why SD? I mean if you are original from this city and are moving back to DR after 20 years and you don't need to find a job you'll be good anywhere. I would try other place, for sure you will find a good deal out of the over populated capital of DR.

JJ

Baltazar11

Oct 17, 2011
I think you would advertise your requirement in a very good way, like t.v, magazine, etc, then i am sure you will receive soon response about your requirement...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If this is about owning your own land/building and having something to be proud of then I would think you will be far better off buying in Campo where you can really appreciate what you have and use it for family gatherings and peace time. Even wealthy people from the Capital have second houses out in Campo they take the family to at weekends and holidays, any chance they get to get away from the city, they live weekly in the Capital as this is where they work, kids study etc. If you do not have work to worry about then you would be far better off and more popular with the family to buy or build somewhere easier to get to without traffic and possibly slightly closer to a nice beach/river, escape.
The top and bottom is you do not have enough money to do what you want to do in the city, to settle for less would leave you with more headaches than it is worth in a not so nice area and probably with a building that would be an endless money pit in repairs and problems.
Good luck, I hope you realize your dreams.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I wonder if you would like to live in a quiet steet in Zona Colonial ,,there are 2 houses for sale ,,on e has 2 stories and 3 bedrooms and the other , that has been remodelled is a very large single story home with a basement area and 4 or 5 bedrooms .Both are around the 3 million peso mark

dom

Jun 1, 2011
i would not listen to all these negative posts, there are plently of houses availaible in nice neighboardhoods in your price range.

they may not be large homes, or maybe they are an older property, but everytime you come and visit you could improve something and at the end you will have a very nice house. specially older properties that need some fix should be possible to find in your price range.

ask your family members and tell them to ask around, that is how we do it ehre all the time for all kind of stuff, and we get tons of responses all the time, from close and distant family members.

PENJO

Apr 10, 2008
This makes good sense. Thank you for these words. Please if I may ask you, what is you opinion about Santiago in the 4 to 4.5 Dominican millions? I know very little about Santiago. I lived in Santo DOmingo Colonial ZOne during my childhood. It wasn't anything nice my last experience down there.
I think you had better understand things here. RD$3,000,000 might buy you a place in one of the nicer barrios, but never in a decent neighborhood. You might find an apartment in one of the "Multis" for that price.

At current costs three million with build you a 100 m2 house, with no furnishings, no electricity or water, no fences, not much of anything.

Relax for a while and keep adding to your savings. Think outside Santo Domingo. Maybe a campo of San Cristobal or Monte Plata. Then your money will go further. You had better research this a lot more by coming down and looking at alternatives.

Cordially,

HB