Cafe Cubano has a new owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Since when did Rod and Shira sold Cafe Cubano? I surely will miss them...they are good people and had the place running well....I wonder if they are still in the DR...anyway if anyone has any info, please share it...by the way good luck to the new owner...

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Hope the food and service doesnt suffer with the change in owners, they had great cuban sandwiches and a good breakfast.

The best cherry cheesecake in town......though at $100 pesos/slice a little pricey.....at $3.80 US I coukl almost buy a whole cheesecake in the US......only a NEWBIE thinks that Dominican prices for restaurant food is cheaper than US restaurant food prices....NOT !!!!!!!!

Granted, if you eat in the barrio it's cheaper (relatively speaking), but I'm talking a restaurant that caters to tourists and Dominicans as well. Like all the restaurants on Pedro Clisante.

Last edited:

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
The best cherry cheesecake in town......though at $100 pesos/slice a little pricey.....at $3.80 US I coukl almost buy a whole cheesecake in the US......only a NEWBIE thinks that Dominican prices for restaurant food is cheaper than US restaurant food prices....NOT !!!!!!!!

Granted, if you eat in the barrio it's cheaper (relatively speaking), but I'm talking a restaurant that caters to tourists and Dominicans as well. Like all the restaurants on Pedro Clisante.

I can eat better quality restaurant food, with a larger portion size, for less money in the US....and that's the truth......

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The best cherry cheesecake in town......though at $100 pesos/slice a little pricey.....at $3.80 US I coukl almost buy a whole cheesecake in the US.

I hope you use a calculator when you pay your novias in the morning!
RD$100=~$2.63

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hope you use a calculator when you pay your novias in the morning!
RD$100=~$2.63

Good catch on the math error. I tell our clients to use a rate of 3 US cents per peso. Looks like they will be able to use 2 US Cents per peso in the future and its almost a sure thing when Hippo gets back in power.

Cafe Cubano had a chocolate cake that actually tasted somewhat like chocolate. Very rare here in the DR. Best of luck to the new owners.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Thanks to Rod and Shara (hope I spelled your name correctly) for the good food, good service, and good cigars I haved enjoyed at the cafe.

Good luck to the new owner, I look forward to saying hello on my next trip.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Good catch on the math error. I tell our clients to use a rate of 3 US cents per peso. Looks like they will be able to use 2 US Cents per peso in the future and its almost a sure thing when Hippo gets back in power.

Cafe Cubano had a chocolate cake that actually tasted somewhat like chocolate. Very rare here in the DR. Best of luck to the new owners.

Their Philli steak sandwich was my favorite.
Windeguy : real chocolate cake made with the best chocolate ---> Belgian Bakery :classic:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Bob K ....... actually it has been sold, I guess my source is more excellent than yours..... I hope the cuban sandwich is as good as before .... dam it was good

Mar 2, 2008
Eddy, it has been closing at 6:00 PM this week only to accommodate for staff vacations. I just had lunch there, and I have enjoyed their coffee every day this week.

Rod and Shara are still running the place, and any rumors of its sale are greatly exaggerated.

By the way, I think Bob K's source is the present owner, so its quite authentic.

Mar 2, 2008
Tambo, it is not closed. It is closing at 6:00PM this week only instead of 10:00, in order to cover three staff vacations. I don't think Rod particularly cares to have his whereabouts made public on the internet, but it is true that Shara is back and running the establishment. If you were actually here, you could go there yourself for confirmation.

Honestly, this is much to do about nothing. I agree with one thing, what a bunch of chismosos here.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
OK. I've been there on a few occasions around 8 for a burger this past week. Now I know why it was closed. I'll have to think about eating earlier ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK. I've been there on a few occasions around 8 for a burger this past week. Now I know why it was closed. I'll have to think about eating earlier ;)

Actually, you should be able to go there later after tonight. It does beg the question, "Does the early bird always get the burger?"

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Bob K ....... actually it has been sold, I guess my source is more excellent than yours..... I hope the cuban sandwich is as good as before .... dam it was good
No sir......actually it has not been sold, not even close. Your source is not that excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.