Home Oxygen Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim or Dana Murphy

Jan 26, 2008
Will be returning to our winter home in Cabarete in December and will require in home Oxygen Concentrator, . . preferably to rent but may consider purchase, . cannot find that service on line. Does anyone have any info on who to contact? Advice is appreciated.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Hi I see that you had no luck yet. Have you consider renting a portable concentrator from your home town for the trip.I know that it's very expensive ($4500.00) so they are not too eager to rent one.Hope that someone else on this thread find an alternative.

regards

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My father had one years ago.... I don't remember it being too large.

Can you not ship one down in advance - or bring one with you?

I don't remember them being $4500.....
Is this the one that produces about 90% pure oxygen?

Here's what I got by searching..
oxygen concentrators portable - Norton Safe Search

Looks like less than $1000 will get a nice portable one

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On a separate note, we had my father's car wired with an AC convertor so we could carry oxygen on road trips.
Not expensive and gives you a plug in the car... oxygen , blender drinks, hair dryers - you name it !

Seriously, a good, inexpensive solution.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
On a separate note, we had my father's car wired with an AC convertor so we could carry oxygen on road trips.
Not expensive and gives you a plug in the car... oxygen , blender drinks, hair dryers - you name it !

Seriously, a good, inexpensive solution.
Most of the portable units have DC car converters available that will allow use and/or charge batteries for those so equipped.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That may be true.
This was 25 years ago - one of the first portable oxygen machines.

They didn't really have good portable ones.

Today's world, with more efficient, longer lasting batteries allow for more portability.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Having been in the home O2/home health budniz in another life, the larger concern would be close access to a pulmonologist should the patient go sour. That would mean being close to a larger clinic because EMS is almost non-existant in the DR. And where some form of EMS exists, they are badly ill equipped.

I'd also be concerned about the availability of respiratory meds and delivery systems.

The concentrator is just one piece of the puzzle...

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
My father had one years ago.... I don't remember it being too large.

Can you not ship one down in advance - or bring one with you?

I don't remember them being $4500.....
Is this the one that produces about 90% pure oxygen?

Here's what I got by searching..
oxygen concentrators portable - Norton Safe Search

Looks like less than $1000 will get a nice portable one

Hi WW This is the price I paid in Canada for a portable concentrator.They even had one with more bells and whisles at $5500.00.
That's why I told the OP to see if he could rent one before going on vacation.I can only assume that the rental cost will be high and it might make more sense to buy.

Regards

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hi WW This is the price I paid in Canada for a portable concentrator.They even had one with more bells and whisles at $5500.00.
That's why I told the OP to see if he could rent one before going on vacation.I can only assume that the rental cost will be high and it might make more sense to buy.

Regards

Mike

I just took a brief glance at the website I posted.
I could be wrong.

I would doubt that such equipment is available in RD.
Bringing it with you - one way or anothre - will be better.

But CobraBoy's advice for followup care is a real-life situation.
Experienced medical personnel and equipment/meds might be tough to find.

My father , who had COLD ( or COPD as it is called too) died from a Pulmonary embollism....
impossible to revive a 'voluntary breather'.
That embollism was a result of tampering with his blood. ... prednozone (sp) ?

Jim or Dana Murphy

Jan 26, 2008
OK, . . Thanks all, . I guess I was not specific enough, . I have a portable Oxygen Concentrator, . battery operated, lightweight & portable with a DC car charger as well as an AC adapter. However that is not sufficient for full time use. It might not last for five or six months of full time use, . that is not it's intended use. We travel to the DR each winter to our home in Cabarete for the winter. I haven't needed a pulmonoligist in the DR as yet but will need one this year. Hopefully they can put me in touch with a home Oxygen service. Thanks for the help.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
I have COPD and lately,when I go down the DR,I get congested.The change of climate,I guess.I use the concentrator only when needed and I bring a supply of antibiotics.Who the hell called this the golden years?

CobraBoy's advice is something the OP should take seriously depending how bad his condition is.Staying outside populated areas might help.I have more problem breathing in downtown Sosua than at La Mulata.Less motoconchos,less pollution.The inconvenience is that he will be further from the clinic should anything happens.

Sorry,Jim and Dana.We are not trying to scare you off.You just have to realise that the DR is not like where you live and all we are trying to do is keep you informed.There are good clinics and good doctors in the DR but not everywhere.

WW sorry about your dad.

Regards

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Mike...

As my mother's 93 yr old friend said to me the other day.

"Billy, this getting old stuff isn't for sissies".... she wasn't kidding.

You're right Mike. I can't imagine having COPD and getting stuck behind one of those smoke belching trucks.....
Its bad enough for a good breather !

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have early COPD (asthmatic bronchitis) and have lived in Puerto Plata since 2001. I find that as long as I pace myself, I have fewer breathing issues in the DR than when I am in the US.

That being said, I understand that there is a pulmonologist in Puerto Plata at Centro Medico. Her name, I believe, is Dilcia Mercado. I personally have not have good experiences with that hospital, but have noted the name in case of emergency.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If I remember correctly from my father's situation ( 25 yrs ago or more), humidity is not good.
If you are near the ocean with a fresh breeze, you experience very clean air.... mostly dry enough for your comfort.

We vacationed regularly in Acapulco - back at the beginning of time - and my Dad was very comfortable.
We were away from the town, high on a cliff, with gentle breezes and clean air.

I hope you experience the same on the North Coast.

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK, . . Thanks all, . I guess I was not specific enough, . I have a portable Oxygen Concentrator, . battery operated, lightweight & portable with a DC car charger as well as an AC adapter. However that is not sufficient for full time use. It might not last for five or six months of full time use, . that is not it's intended use. We travel to the DR each winter to our home in Cabarete for the winter. I haven't needed a pulmonoligist in the DR as yet but will need one this year. Hopefully they can put me in touch with a home Oxygen service. Thanks for the help.

Jim/Dana
I have empathy for you.

Remember that RD is a bit behind.
We always discuss the concept of luxury and necessity here..... you need to step back in time somewhat.

In the "old days" before the portable O2 remedies, we contracted for oxygen tanks when we vacationed.
My father played in a golf tournament at Pebble Beach with me.... oxygen tank in the cart

It may be easier for you to find an oxygen supplier.... all the clinics must have a supplier.
Just change out your tanks regularly.

All you need is a good length of the tubing.

Thats how we did it, way back when...

Your portable goes to lunch and dinner.

Hope this helps.

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have early COPD (asthmatic bronchitis) and have lived in Puerto Plata since 2001. I find that as long as I pace myself, I have fewer breathing issues in the DR than when I am in the US.

That being said, I understand that there is a pulmonologist in Puerto Plata at Centro Medico. Her name, I believe, is Dilcia Mercado. I personally have not have good experiences with that hospital, but have noted the name in case of emergency.
If you and the OP have CPOD, I'd sure have more than just the name of a Pulmo. I'd make it a high priority to schedule an appointment, complete with copies of records from my N.A. Pulmo, including all the tests, first day in the country. You need to KNOW what options you have, where to get meds, etc., how he/she works, their cell numbers, etc. And I'll bet she can tell you where to get O2 and a concentrator. No doubt they are here, but the delivery isn't like a Respiratory Home Care company in the states, and Fedex doesn't send your routine meds (and Lord knows, I've lugged more than my share of M's up flights of stairs because a tech called in sick...) .

Jim or Dana Murphy

Jan 26, 2008
Yeah to all of the above, . this is our fourth winter in Cabarete and the fresh sea air is actually very good for my condition, . I always feel a lot better there. (I hear you about the smokey trucks & moto conches tho and the streets of Sosua) I've been to Servi Med and to the new Clinic in Sosua and they both have my records. I will be a first stop to get hooked up with a pulmonologist. I bring a six month supply of meds with me. Anyone interested might like to know that a Doctor from Servimed in Cabarete made a house call, . gave a breathing treatment, provided antibiotics and prednisone ,. . . all for fifty bucks, . try that at home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Glad to hear you are " Hooked Up"..... sounds like a plan.
If you're thinking about emergencies, therre is a helicopter service attached to a medical plan that will get you you to Santiago or SDQ pretty quickly.

Search it here. Apparently, very good service.

Safe trip...........

WW

Jim or Dana Murphy

Jan 26, 2008
Yeah, . we also have medivac service insurance to air transport you via medical air transport to any north american city in a doctor certified emergency, accompanied by medical personal and life support equipment. Insurance costs about $250. US but with a condition well worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.