Suggestions of alternative destinations on North Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montago

Feb 15, 2011
Hi all,

I will be arriving for the second time to the North Coast in December. I am spending 1 week in Sosua / Cabarete. I am keen however to spend my second week somwhere else. I've heard of great places to the East like Rio Sa Juan, Cabrera and even Nagua as somewhere alternative to relax--with the beaches in the former mentioned the best in the whole RD.

But how about some hidden gems to the west of Puerto Plata? What I would like is visit somewhere that has a degree of serenity, lovely beaches, charm and a relaxing vibe with Dominican character-maybe im asking too much......?

Also I would like in the evening some nightlife for socializing, but its not very important factor. Obviously having a decent selection of guest houses / hotels would come into the picture as well.

Thanks so much for any suggestions

Kind Regards
Montago

Last edited:

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Staying on the north coast my best suggestions are Cabrera and Las Terenas. They have the qualities you mention and are safe and fun places.
Rio SJ and Nagua are pure Dominican towns with little tourism so they would offer a more basic stay if your Spanish is good but neither have beaches that excite. I find the beaches in RSJ and Nagua dirty from trash and the rivers that flow into the sea in those areas. Plenty of local nightlife on the weekends in both and much local charm.
West of PP I don't have any gems for you. Best spots are east.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
How about Punta Rucia to the west. Dominican village, fab beach, great snorkelling, amazing fish and some nice little guest houses.

Matilda

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

If you want the best beaches in the DR you will find them on the Samana Peninsula. The Las Terrenas area has 4 or 5 great
beaches, included in these are Playa Coson and Playa Bonita. You can spend the afternoon at Luis' Restaurant in Playa Coson. You can eat grilled fish and have a drink and hang out at the beach and go swimming. It is a very informal and relaxed place.
There are also a couple of hidden gems between Samana City and Las Galeras, Playa Rincon is worth checking out. Las Terrenas also offers good night life and a great array of restaurants.
S

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Samana !!! Go there. Perfect nature, many, but MANY beaches, mountains and small cities with or without nightlife. whatever you like.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Maybe a beautiful mountain retreat near Puerto Plata for just a day or two in an eco village like Tubagua Plantation, or spend a day or two at a hotel on the malecon in Puerto Plata.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi all,

I will be arriving for the second time to the North Coast in December.

But how about some hidden gems to the west of Puerto Plata?

Also I would like in the evening some nightlife for socializing, but its not very important factor. Obviously having a decent selection of guest houses / hotels would come into the picture as well.

Thanks so much for any suggestions

Kind Regards
Montago

Listen, Montago, \I do not want to be mean or anything but if we just handed out information about any sort of "hidden gems" to any |second time" visitor.. well, it just would not be fair, now, would it?

First of alll, it would not remain a hidden gem for long, would it? The very definition of a "hidden gem" is that it probably does NOT have your hotels and guest houses and night life.. cause how would they survive being hidden and all that..

OF course, I know of at least one.. without the night life.. But I am not going to tell you. Or anyone who is not in the car with me.

Because you have not .. well.. paid your dues.. as in
been bitten by enough mosquitoes,
spent enough nights not sleeping next to the blaring disco,

had the electricity go out in the room with the air conditioner and the window that did not open,

tried to sleep at night when the cricket, who must have been at least 2 ft long was trapped in your pack and obviously desperate for a mate,

been stranded in a town where the only restaurant was the pica pollo...

knowledge of those secret little places

don't come so easy

nothing personal

hope you don't mind

you will love Las Terrenas

enjoy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mountain Girl........... You have nailed it.

Helpful - we are - secret spots remain as defined - secret.

Isn't that the fun of discovering 'secrets' ?
What I like may not interest you...

Others may feel differntly.... to each their own.

Good for you MA.......... you have my support !!

Status
Not open for further replies.