DR1..Rioting

T

Tom

Dolores;

I don't think you actually have any "investigative" reporters do you? If you do, or if there is any other source, would it be possible to obtain some in depth information about these recent riots.

Those weapons (If they were Uzis) are indicative of Columbian Cartels, maybe they are trying to make some sort of staement or show thie authority?

This is simply speculation, but I can't fathom where those guns came from.

Does anyone have a link to a picture clearly showing one of these weapons?

thanks

Tom

T

Tom F.

Huelgas are the manner in which groups of people get their message out to the authorities. If the electricity goes off for too long, the road is into it's 2nd decade without getting fixed, the police kill someone from the neighborhood, or something else major, you will see communities shut down the road and the business for a day or two. The are organized and sometimes the leadership gets paid to not strike. Leonel got into a little trouble over that one. Most of the time the majority of people are in solidarity and respect the huelga and stay around the house. National strikes are a bit different. I have seen strikes where most of the country was shut down but Sosua, PP and other tourists areas barely feel it. I would like to hear more about whether the strikers were armed. This isn't the usual strike if that's the case. Usually they burn a few tires and down a few trees to block the road. You can even pay off the strikers some times to let you through. I've done it a few times. I've also driven 2 hours out of the way to get home rather than mess with the trouble. I lived in San Francisco de Macoris as a Peace Corp volunteer and it is known for having strikes. You learn when a where to go. Nothing is open and there is no traffice on the streets so it is a nice time to get some reading done or other errands around the house.

T

Tom

I understand strikes and protests, but Uzis are a whole different world. Molatov cocktails and RPGS are next