Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 10% on restaurant bills

Does any know if owners are required to share the 10% among the workers or do workers only get what is left in cash above the required 10%? Do workers receive anything from a tip left with a credit card?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

No, cash tips only as far as I have experienced. I know one English owner who is honest, but not Doms. <generalization>

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Try reading this thread. http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-que...insulting.html
    Even if you hand a waiter a tip directly, you can't be guaranteed that he isn't required to pool it with his fellow employees. Try to be discrete if you want to take care of a someone who gave excellent service.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    Try reading this thread. http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-que...insulting.html
    Even if you hand a waiter a tip directly, you can't be guaranteed that he isn't required to pool it with his fellow employees. Try to be discrete if you want to take care of a someone who gave excellent service.
    I think dividing the tips up equal at the end of each shift is the best way. My partner worked in restaurants and it works out better, she came home with a pretty average RD800$ after each shift, I think it works out fairer, as long as everyone works as hard as each other.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi:
    I have been told by a couple of restaurant owners that the 10% goes to the house. If you want to tip your waiter or waitress that is over an above the 16% Fed tax and 10% service charge.

S

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    I think dividing the tips up equal at the end of each shift is the best way. My partner worked in restaurants and it works out better, she came home with a pretty average RD800$ after each shift, I think it works out fairer, as long as everyone works as hard as each other.
    Except, in the DR they require the tips to be divided amongst the complete staff including waiters, busboys, hosts, captains, dishwashers, cooks and bartenders. The restaurant owners rely on tips to supplement their payrolls.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

This has been debated over and over and NO ONE can answer you.

Since the 10% is on the bill and paid it is unkown how that is shared, if at all, with the working staff. I would guess that a credit card would leave them less since a fee is involved with the transaction and some owners want to cover that fee. Quite frankly, most owners are not too concerned about what their workers make and can easily replace them.

Most of the places my wife and I go to do NOT put the 10% on our bill. We NEVER use a C.C. We pay our bill in cash and wait for the change and leave what we feel is the proper tip. At times we go to the kitchen and show ours thanks to them too.

Did you know that the bag boys at Playero are not paid by the store at all! The boys work ONLY for the tips from the customers. So a 25 peso tip for them to carry your 4,000 peso purchase to your car does matter to them. But I'm a sucker... I give them 35. (haven't you wondered why you don't see the same bag boys?)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Except, in the DR they require the tips to be divided amongst the complete staff including waiters, busboys, hosts, captains, dishwashers, cooks and bartenders. The restaurant owners rely on tips to supplement their payrolls.
    I think that is a good thing! Front of house staff get the same as behind the scenes!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    I think that is a good thing! Front of house staff get the same as behind the scenes!
    And you wonder why service, in general, is lousy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

And you wonder why service, in general, is lousy.
    No, I know why service in general is lousy, and that is because people employ lazy people. If you eat at a good restaurant then you should not have lousy service. The lousy service is down to the employer.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast