what the f*** happened to sosua?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so we went to the food festival. since i did not remember where it was supposed to be held we turned to charamicos. same old crap: "my friend, i will look after your car, 100 pesos, my friend". oh well. then we went up to el batey or whatever that part of sosua is called. clean streets. i mean CLEAN. police patrols. amet patrols. some new businesses (new for me since i did not visit for a while; and who knows how long will they last). no putas. no bothering. wow. it felt nice and safe.

at the festival another surprise. clean, clean, clean. rubbish bins every few steps. nice people. chatted with all folks we bought the food from. all samples were good, gotta say. and the organisation was good too. amet on site helping people get in and out. power in all tents so patrons could get ther fria really fria :)

i am surprised. sosua has changed. heck, i may be back there again for a meal. and i am sure i will enjoy it. to hell with all of you complaining about puta harassment, sosua is BETTER now.

ps i got you guys with the title, didn't i? :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The festival was really great. People coming and going all the time so hard to tell how many passed by, but there were a lot.

Very well organized and clean. People were going around picking up cups and plates that people left behind. The fountain was shooting water in the air for probably the first time and the playground swings, etc., were all repaired and looking good.

Sosua needs more events like this so there is something besides watching the putas.

My sense is that people were having a great time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that people really loved it. the atmosphere was relaxed and calm. yes, the music was loud but well, that's a dominican thing :) ;)
i saw many turistas, good that folks are getting out and about. everyone was friendly, we chatted with the staff from most stands and the guy from jamaican restaurant gave us some food gratis when he heard we came all the way from POP :)
lots of kids everywhere, dogs on leashes, no putas in sight. ilana must be doing a good job. i hope sosua will pick up and become a nice town it used to be long time ago. normally i complain about DR but i give credit when credit is due. sosua is changing for better.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Everyone involved deserves credit for a job well done !

Amet and the Politur also deserve credit for keeping traffic lanes open but more importantley they enjoyed the great music as well.

It was a great weekend in Sosua !

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
can someone please share some pictures of this great event and clean town you speak of. i love sosua, my family on my grandfather side has a piece of property there. sosua reminds me of my summer vacations. dv8 - you got my attention with the title.

also, does anyone have any idea on what the gov't is doing about "charamicos. same old crap" vs "el batey - clean streets. i mean CLEAN. police patrols. amet patrols." why can't we have clean and safe streets on both sides of the track.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
charamicos is dominican, el batey is gringo, this is your answer. sosua is changing for the better but it takes time. yes, i know some complain about ilana's ideas and some say that sosua without putas will die. but what i saw was lots of people who were happy to be there. i hope things will pick up, the bars will stay open and new jobs will keep on coming.
and no worries, folks, putas will always be there anyway, just like in any other city in the world. less visible but nonetheless available.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
can someone please share some pictures of this great event and clean town you speak of. i love sosua, my family on my grandfather side has a piece of property there. sosua reminds me of my summer vacations. dv8 - you got my attention with the title.

also, does anyone have any idea on what the gov't is doing about "charamicos. same old crap" vs "el batey - clean streets. i mean CLEAN. police patrols. amet patrols." why can't we have clean and safe streets on both sides of the track.

Here are some photos and all you have to do is imagine the rest.

Photos of Sosa - Sosua.com - Travel Guide, Info, and Resources for Sosa, Dominican Republic

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Now all that needs to be done is build some mega resorts, some bigger supermarkets and a marina.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i was in sosua beach on saturday afternoon. Empty, seemed like monday.
AZB

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Yes the festival was a great success. Friday night, the street was packed and the concert certainly added a vibe. The rest of the weekend was good too, but the days were extremely hot. The groups that organized the festival were very professional and did not let any of us participants down. Everything they promised they delivered on. Most of us were skeptical in the begining but gave them the benefit of the doubt and they wowed us. Tents, tables, chairs, electricity and the organizers actually came around a few times a day asking if all was ok and if we needed anything. We also had questionaires to fill out to improve next years festival. I am very happy we participated and it was nice to see so many new faces in town. Kudos to everybody.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
i think that people really loved it. the atmosphere was relaxed and calm. yes, the music was loud but well, that's a dominican thing :) ;)
i saw many turistas, good that folks are getting out and about. everyone was friendly, we chatted with the staff from most stands and the guy from jamaican restaurant gave us some food gratis when he heard we came all the way from POP :)
lots of kids everywhere, dogs on leashes, no putas in sight. ilana must be doing a good job. i hope sosua will pick up and become a nice town it used to be long time ago. normally i complain about DR but i give credit when credit is due. sosua is changing for better.

It should be a monthly event.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It should be a monthly event.

It would be a great if there was a monthly event, but I don't think it should be the same thing every month. My thought would be a food festival once a year with other activities in the other months.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Less visible putas what the f*** is the RD coming to? Lol. food fest sounds great thow, even in Miami thy have trouble pulling something like that off with out some joker pulling a strap. Sosua= Disney land and you can have snow white at the sametime!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Amazing, positive comments about Sosua on DR1. A first!!! For me its always been a nice town but its good to hear. And you can still ogle the putas all you like. The "proposed" marina is a pipedream. The beach has been dead for a while. The weekends used to be crowded with the wealthy people coming from Santiago, along with a few poor ones on the bus. Maybe it is the economy but they do not make the trip these days. How the beach bars and restaurants stay in business is a mystery.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
i was in sosua beach on saturday afternoon. Empty, seemed like monday.
AZB

One reason is the access to Sosua's "other" beach from the new park. This has become quite popular. I walked over late
Sunday afternoon to see what was going on and quite a few Dominicans were still on the beach. I even saw a parked van that brought a load from La Vega.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In the past few years, every weekend saw literally hundreds and hundreds of Santiogueros (spelling) at Sosua beach. They spent money and came every weekend we had good weather. I know because I had a small beach restaurant and they were clients. No other beach with "quite a few people" explains the fact that they do not come anymore. When the people from Santiago stopped making the trip we closed the restaurant. In fact on many weekends there were thirty or more buses parked along the autopista along with the streets and parking lots being full. Business was good for a time but it stopped suddenly at about the same time the world economies were going south. Do not know if there is a connection but that is my story and i am sticking with it. Maybe the gas prices? Who knows!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
santiagueros don't come to sosua anymore is because, they are all flat broke. No money in santiago and weekends seem no different than mondays.
AZB