Married Dominicana changing name on Cedula

slinger

Nov 5, 2010
Is this a difficult, time consuming chore?
A friend's wife of six months is dragging her feet. He wants her to update her paperwork for I.D. purposes.
What says the forum?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are a lot of possible explanations and many of them are not nice.
1. She is already married
2. She was divorced but did not wait the required ten months
3. She has "issues" pending with the justice system
4. She has something pending with the Registro Civil

Because most information is now computerized, having a false c?dula or a double identity or pending lawsuits and stuff like that might come up when you file to change your legal status.

Beware.

HB

Jan 17, 2009
"Might it not just be the latin thing of not wanting to lose her apellido?" You can't completely lose your last name. In the DR, like all other Spanish speaking countries, a married woman goes by: first name, maiden name, "de" "married name". They will NOT drop her maiden name.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They do not "lose" their last name. She will be Mrs. Whoever Whatever of Smith... that "of" might pi$$ off a some women but it is a badge of honor for Hispanic...and you get away from that hyphenated Jones-Smith (which is the same thing) or Rodham-Clinton.

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife still has her original name on her Cedula. We were married in the DR. She has my surname on her Canadian id and passport and her Dominican surname on her ID. No need to change.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Gotta agree with HB here. Be suspicious of everything in the DR and you will not suffer any nasty surprises.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Why does she need to change her last name? It's not the custom in The DR for the woman to change her last name as already discussed here. Maybe because I come from The Dominican culture, but always thought it was a weird custom in The US for a woman to lose her last name when she got married and also calling your in-laws mom/dad/uncle etc...I don't call my in-laws mom or dad...cause they're NOT.