People with visa experience, please help me.

tinkerbash

Feb 2, 2010
hi, i got married to my dominican husband nearly 3 years ago we also have a two year old daughter together. we wanted to get his visa straight away but he was too young , he is now 21 and meets the age requirement and i would like to start the visa process but as i have been living as a single parent i had to give up my well paying job to look after my daughter. some people have told me that they cant refuse us as we have a daughter together but i am scared to apply whilst i still dont have a full time job incase i lose all of the money i pay for the visa application and may not be able to afford to apply again any time soon? would it be Better to apply for a vvisitors visa in the meantime?? also i want my dog to come with him! how do i go about getting her here from the dominican? please help as my aim is to have him here by Jan if possible x

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
First of all, what country are you talking about, USA? UK? Canada?

Most countries want proof that you can support your spouse.

AE

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Wasn't this your post a few months ago?
I got married two and a half years ago in rio San juan. I am now starting divorce proceedings and I cannot do so until I have a copy of my marriage certificate. I contacted my husband who supposedly sent a copy over a month ago but as he knows what it is for I am worried that it was never actually sent. It was sent via standard Dominican postal service so can anyone advise as to how long it would take to get to the uk using this service? If not what is the quickest way to obtain a copy as I really want divorced asap
Thanks
Ashleigh ]

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is from England, she said "whilst" and nobody in the US of A or Canada says "whilst"...this is one sick puppy...

Please tell her that there is no way in he!! that they will give him a tourist visa...he has no money, no job and nothing to hold him here and his wife and daughter are in Merry Old....just no way.

Sad situation...

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Assuming that detective Hillbilly is right (lol) you are from the UK, then in order to have him with you on a permanent visa you will have to prove that you can support him without recourse to public funds. In other words you will need to have a job and accommodation and not be claiming benefit. Full details are on the UK Visas website including the application form. And there is no way he will get a visitor's visa as they know he is most unlikely to return here.

It is not better news for the dog either. As far as I know, the UK is not part of the pet passport scheme from the DR, and therefore the dog will have to go into quarantine for 6 months, which you have to pay for as well.

matilda

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
hi, i got married to my dominican husband nearly 3 years ago we also have a two year old daughter together. we wanted to get his visa straight away but he was too young , he is now 21 and meets the age requirement and i would like to start the visa process but as i have been living as a single parent i had to give up my well paying job to look after my daughter. some people have told me that they cant refuse us as we have a daughter together but i am scared to apply whilst i still dont have a full time job incase i lose all of the money i pay for the visa application and may not be able to afford to apply again any time soon? would it be Better to apply for a vvisitors visa in the meantime?? also i want my dog to come with him! how do i go about getting her here from the dominican? please help as my aim is to have him here by Jan if possible x

Your well paying job couldn't buy you a babysitter or daycare ?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
It is not better news for the dog either. As far as I know, the UK is not part of the pet passport scheme from the DR, and therefore the dog will have to go into quarantine for 6 months, which you have to pay for as well.

matilda

From what little I have read, it will be easier to get the husband into the UK than to get the dog. The Brits are exceptionally cautious about animals entering the country. (I wish to mention that I understand and respect the policy, as it is for the protection of public health.)

The Jamaican rules are even tougher on dogs, which is why I ended up eating arroz con habituelas instead of jerked chicken every day. (Again, total respect and understanding.)

tinkerbash

Feb 2, 2010
Thanks guys yeah it's the uk I am from. As for the ungelpful comments don't post my thread if you have nothing to say related to the topic and as for my well paying job... Yes I could afford childcare or private nursery but my work wouldn't give me family friendly Hours as my work included travel! But thanks lol!

tinkerbash

Feb 2, 2010
I vouldnt get family friendly hours as my job included travel which I could get childcare for .... But thanks for your concern

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Understood ! I was just puzzled (I am a single mom too), it's just that raising a child is so expensive on this side on the Atlantic, that I can't think of a single mom who would give up a good job.

Good luck !

tinkerbash

Feb 2, 2010
Yeah if I has choice in the matter I would have kept working but my company weren't family friendly I guess. Hopefully I will get work soon and this will simplify the whole thing !