Severance pay

enacam

Jul 14, 2009
Can anyone advise me if i am obligated to pay severance pay to a person who has worked one day every two weeks as a cleaning lady in my home. this arrangement has been going on for 3 years. I will give her something but wnat to know what my legal obligations are if any.

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can anyone advise me if i am obligated to pay severance pay to a person who has worked one day every two weeks as a cleaning lady in my home. this arrangement has been going on for 3 years. I will give her something but wnat to know what my legal obligations are if any.

Thanks

I don't think so. Because I have a similar situation, I have asked questions like this before without getting a definitive answer, but what I have read on the subject on this board leads me to believe there is no legal obligation to pay severance to a very part time person.

There are threads in the archives on severance pay if you want to check them out.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My memory is that domestics and gardeners are excluded according to law and so are part time.

Our woman is 3 days a week and entitled by law to nothing extra - we give extra.
We treat the gardener similarly

The law allows nothing for them - if I remember correctly

Aug 21, 2007
The summary is that you are not obligated. If the person took good care of you, give them something, and they will leave with good feelings.

You will, too.

Lindsey

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

Thanks

http://dr1.com/legal/business/Labor_Law.pdf

There are some obligations. See section 8.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/42156-overview-dominican-labor-law.html

Apparently there is no distinction between full and part time in the application of the employment benefits provided by the law.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Domestic employees, whether full-time or part-time are not entitled to severance. They are entitled to 2 weeks vacation pay/year and 1 months Christmas salary. These must be paid on termination for percentage of the year they worked. Be careful, this only applies to domestic employees paid directly by you for working in your own home. If you pay them through your business they are regular employees and entitled to all benefits including severance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Domestic employees, whether full-time or part-time are not entitled to severance. They are entitled to 2 weeks vacation pay/year and 1 months Christmas salary. These must be paid on termination for percentage of the year they worked. Be careful, this only applies to domestic employees paid directly by you for working in your own home. If you pay them through your business they are regular employees and entitled to all benefits including severance.

I think that "Domestic" includes gardeners too.??

Do you know?

Another point I think is different is that if you rent your house, the rules tip in favor of the employee and they get more entitlements because they are personal domestics and become more like hotel worker.

Again, perhaps someone can clarify that.

( T - No, I wouldn't accept philanthrop at a Scrabble game - not a word !! :eek: )

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I think that "Domestic" includes gardeners too.??

Do you know?

Another point I think is different is that if you rent your house, the rules tip in favor of the employee and they get more entitlements because they are personal domestics and become more like hotel worker.

Again, perhaps someone can clarify that.

( T - No, I wouldn't accept philanthrop at a Scrabble game - not a word !! :eek: )
Gardeners are included as domestics. You are probably correct that if you rent out your house, it may be construed as a business and making the housekeeper a regular employee.

The only word I would accept is philanthrope. But the board will have to have some setup for you to add 7 tiles to make that word.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gardeners are included as domestics. You are probably correct that if you rent out your house, it may be construed as a business and making the housekeeper a regular employee.

The only word I would accept is philanthrope. But the board will have to have some setup for you to add 7 tiles to make that word.

Accepted word.... impossible to play as I see it.

Need 8 tiles to put infront of rope and more to bracket ant

I'm pretty sure i'm right about the renting and the Housekeeper and gardner exclusions under normal, non-renting scenarios.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Accepted word.... impossible to play as I see it.

Need 8 tiles to put infront of rope and more to bracket ant

I'm pretty sure i'm right about the renting and the Housekeeper and gardner exclusions under normal, non-renting scenarios.

Never mind, my scrabble board doesn't copy well.

niceguy

Aug 6, 2011
That is kind of like conversating!

Chilaxx and don't worry. The DR government has given you the 'authorizority' to dismiss with no severance pay
(the austhor wrote this with no expressed knowledge of the subject, and will take no responsibility for the slaughtering of the inglish landguage hence forth or forth hence. All comments were aapproved and deemed stupid by the niceguy party, thankyou)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If in doubt, visit a Ministry of Labor office. They will do calculations right in front of you...