Question on Visas available to Dominican Residents

THEHEALER

Oct 15, 2011
Is it possible for a US citizen to obtain a Visa for a girlfriend living in the D.R.? If yes, what type of visas are available and what is the best method to do so?

THEHEALER

Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for your information. I'm not sure if it's a fact, but a resident of D.R. told me that it is possible to take my girlfriend to the consulate and she can then obtain an entry visa of some sort for 10 years into the US. Does anyone know of this process?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
That information is not correct ,,everything is done on a case by case basis but having a US citizen giving a reference does no harm ..I know ar least 3 people who have been refused visas although they had an american partner

THEHEALER

Oct 15, 2011
So, the closest thing to what I'm referring to would be the K-1 Fianc?e/Fianc? Visa? Is there any other easier legal methods for a Dominican to travel to the U.S. without involving marriage? If yes, any recommendations?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
A visitor visa is a B1/B2 visa.

You would only apply for the K1 if you are actually planning on getting married while she is in the US.

There are NO easy routes to get her to the US. Select the visa that matches your situation and go from there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
sangria is correct. The reason for the problem in getting a US visitor's visa for any Dominican is that many Dominicans enter the US on visitor's visas and do not return to the DR. Her countrymen have all but ruined her chances for a visitor's visa. We do hear of the occasional success of those getting a visitor's visa which gives everyone else false hope for getting one. Forget about that route. There are NO easy ways to get such a visitors visa. It is close to impossible.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The easiest answer is NO.
The woman you are dating does not qualify for a visa, or she would have had one years ago. It is that simple.

Yes, I got my stepson (a kid I raised since he was 3 or 4) his first visa, after he was refused on his own. Last week his oldest and youngest were given 10 year visas and the passports were delivered in 48 hours. BUT, he is a highly respected ENT doctor, and qualifies on his own now.

She can try and maybe, who knows, she will get a visa. You now apply on line, fill out the form, put up a digital photo, make your appointment and see what happens. But most Dominicans will have major trouble filling out those forms. It took me 45 minutes!....So you had better do it for her. ADVICE: Do not lie! And no 'attitude" if you go to the interview.

HB

missyinbrazil

Sep 14, 2005
A visitor visa is going to be hard to obtain but not impossible. She will have to show stable employment, and ties to this country like money in the bank, land or home in her name and car in her name. She basically has to prove that she has enough ties here to make her want to come back. However it is a toss up. They will ask if she has family in the states. Okay so what Dominican doesn't, however if they are all concentrated in New York and that happens to be the place she is going to visit then you can possibly imagine what the consulate will think?! At least she should try. getting a NO response is better than not knowing because she never tried.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If she is a young nice looking girl she has no chance to get a Visa to the US. Don't waste your time and money on this. Money in the bank won't work either. They will see when you deposited this and know it was only for the Visa application.

Take her to Buenos Aires. No Visa necessary and a great place to visit.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agree with Hillbilly...My sister in-law obtained visas for my niece and nephew and they were given 10 yr visas. She is OBGYN here and has strong ties to the community and also holds a 10 yr visa. She did however need to provide her financial information such as her bank account etc... Even though she got the visas she told me it was no walk in the park.

desh

Feb 20, 2011
Sorry The healer for butting in on your post.Does anyone know if you can reuse documents that you have used before on a previous visa? for example for our 6 month visa application 1 year ago we got his birth certificate translated and stamped into english for the settlement visa next year can i reuse the birth certificate document we did last year?