Liquor License in DR

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Is there such thing as "Liquor License" in The Dom. Rep. and do you know what the process to get one is? Do I need to hire a lawyer to obtain one? Is it hard/expensive as it is in the USA?

Thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not aware one exists.

There isn't nearly the markup in liquor here as where you came from.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Here's what happens...you can start selling liquor pretty much anywhere without a license. Once in a while people from city hall will show up to check permits / paperwork, etc (basically looking for a payout). Normally this is not a big payout, but you do have to be careful they don't see you as easy prey as they will be extorting money from you all the time if that's the case.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There is no need for a "liquor licence" in the D.R. The concept (fortunately!) doesn't exist. Liquor can be legally sold or served in any establishment with a general (restaurant or business) permit.

I'm reminded of how shocked I was when I landed in Toronto in the early 60's and found out that liquor could only be bought in special stores (LCBO's), restaurants couldn't serve wine on Sundays, and teenagers only talked about getting fake ID's to buy booze.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is no need for a "liquor licence" in the D.R. The concept (fortunately!) doesn't exist. Liquor can be legally sold or served in any establishment with a general (restaurant or business) permit.

I'm reminded of how shocked I was when I landed in Toronto in the early 60's and found out that liquor could only be bought in special stores (LCBO's), restaurants couldn't serve wine on Sundays, and teenagers only talked about getting fake ID's to buy booze.
LOL!

I grew up with "Blue Laws." NO liquor on Sunday, period.

And for a while I lived in a "dry" county in GA: no alcohol sales of ANY kind. 'Course there were virtual liquor malls just across the county line...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
CB, Blue Laws are alive and well in some places today. Some just recently repealed.

Many people are surprised when they visit Ocean City, NJ, and find out it's a "dry" town. Founded as a Christian resort, it's never changed its laws, but there has been some noise lately to allow patrons to bring their own wine to restaurants to enjoy with dinner......

The wheel turns verrrryyyy slowly sometimes.

AE

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
We have some crazy booze laws here. I live in Pennsylvania, where ALL wine and spirits are sold by the state, in state owned stores and outlets. Even restaurants buy their alcohol from the state. If anyone makes a special purchase of wine through vendors or sales agents of wineries from other states or countries, it still goes through the state sales system. Unless something has changed recently, this makes the State of Pennsylvania the single largest buyer of alcohol in the world. Beer is sold differently though, (I have no idea why), and is sold by independent beer distributors in case or keg quantities; and by six packs (two max per purchase) at bars and some small restaurants and delicatessen shops. There was a recent experiment to have automated machines to sell wine by the bottle in a few select supermarkets, but the project has been scrapped. Every so often, there's a movement to end the State Store system, but it never gains any real traction.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have some crazy booze laws here. I live in Pennsylvania, where ALL wine and spirits are sold by the state, in state owned stores and outlets. Even restaurants buy their alcohol from the state. If anyone makes a special purchase of wine through vendors or sales agents of wineries from other states or countries, it still goes through the state sales system. Unless something has changed recently, this makes the State of Pennsylvania the single largest buyer of alcohol in the world. Beer is sold differently though, (I have no idea why), and is sold by independent beer distributors in case or keg quantities; and by six packs (two max per purchase) at bars and some small restaurants and delicatessen shops. There was a recent experiment to have automated machines to sell wine by the bottle in a few select supermarkets, but the project has been scrapped. Every so often, there's a movement to end the State Store system, but it never gains any real traction.

Province of Ontario runs the same way with a slightly larger population.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The dichotomy that is the US and Canada to an extent. I always found it funny that people here are so uptight about alcohol, but are very lax about other things the rest of the world considers much worse (i.e. drugs and guns). Probably the only places on earth where you can go fight in places like Afghanistan, but god forbid you have a beer before you're 21...just crazy IMO.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The State of Pennsylvania and the Province of Ontario ( what Fabio is referring to - Toronto) are the largest purchasres/sellers of alcohol on the world.

The scales tip in Ontario's favour b/c they control the beer sales too.

If you compare 'apples to apples' - PA is the winner.

BTW - Ontario used to - maybe still does - private brand some of its liquor.... scotch being the most famous one