Renting a car in Dom. Rep.

V

victor castillo

Attention, Atention

To all Tourists and Absent Dominicans. Be very careful when
renting a car in The Dominican Repubic,or You migh be paying for
the price of a new car. First of all, in the Dominican Republic
people drive like crazy with no rules at all. Dominican drivers
are not nice, everybody wants to go first. Ok, but this is the case, people at the agencies don`t explain the contract clearly to the customers and they make you sigh quick, you pay for the car and the insurance, but if you get hit by one of those crazy drivers you lose, they don`t care about anything, they just want their money and you are responsible for that, anything that happens to the car you are responsible even you are not the guilty one,somebody hit me and I had to pay 15,000 pesos, about 900 in us dollars and the money for the use of the car, just because sombody hit me.
So open your eyes or don`t rent it you better pay a taxy and if they crash you can leave and enjoy the rest of the day with money in your pocket to spend it the way you want.

Good luck from a person who fell in a trap.

T

Tom

Did you take insurance with the rental? Did you use a Gold card if you declined?

J

jim

my wife got in an accident in pop,she went right through a wall,5,000 US damage,no problem,her ins.back here reimbursed us minus the ded.and the credit card co. picked up the ded.took about 2 mos.to straighten it out.....jim

H

Henry

Mind telling the people the company you where with? (Hertz, Avis???)

Thanks

Henry

T

Tom

There is no "guilt" or innocence, but fault. If you bought insurance why didn't they reimburse you?

R

rt

Re: Who did you hire a car from?(maybe Metro)

I had a bad experience with Metro(Thrifty) this past April. I bought the "full coverage" insurance, but I lost a plastic hubcap. The insurance did not pay for this and my cost was $100 for a plastic hubcap. I thought that this was a little extreme, especially for a three year old car. The final cost minus the lost hubcap was $220 over the estimate. No more Metro for me! Or maybe I will carry a suitcase full of hubcaps to pay for my vacation.

V

Victor

Re: Who did you hire a car from?(maybe Metro)

you`ve got to be very careful, It`a jungle with aimals behind the wheels

L

lil sam

I have rented a car from a lil private car rental agency by the entrance to the airport. They were low priced. The even advised I use my Gold card for coverage and I while on one of my visits had a robbery attempot and a window was broken said I could use ins or just pay the da,mage turned out to be us 60 dollars and they had their mechanic install it free.I opted to just pay as it was less hasslles theu also took me around to get the glasss
andwere very fair to me. I feel it just depends who you go to to rent your car. Also as far as the drivers. I have found some drivers courteous and some not but hey thats the way it is .If you earn their respect(in driving by being a lilm aggressive yourself they will respond. just a thought lil sam

H

Henry

Well - get your cars with -

Hertz, Dollar, National or Avis or any other well known company and you get rid of surprises! (We had that subject before anyway!)

Just remember, some smaller private people / companies may rent you a car which may be hazardus to drive! Worse to imagen you will have an accident in you two week vacation just because of a tecnical defect / malfunction!

Henry

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There are times when it is better to take a taxi and times when it is worth the risk of renting a car.

To reduce your risk when renting a car wherever in the world, it is best to take out the extra insurance that companies will offer you. That is the insurance that will cover the deductible that comes with the normal insurance. That way if you are involved in an accident all you will need to do is go to the Police and report the accident and the insurance will pay all the costs. National, for instance, I charges about US$20 extra for this insurance for a week's rent. Check with the company you rent with. A friend of mine did exactly that over the Christmas holidays and it was hassle free. They rented with National.

V

Victor

Re: Well - get your cars with -

Do you work fo a car rental angency?

H

Henry

Re: Well - get your cars with -

I do understand, that you are anything but happy what has happened to you! Thats why I recommend everybody to rent with the well known companies over here (did it by myself), because when there is a problem, you will pay only the reserve or nothing according to your contract! And problems are beeing easy caught over here!

I hope next time you can enjoy your vacation!

Henry