Driving between Santiago, Samana, and Santo Domingo

crenshore

Jan 13, 2004
Planning to spend a week on the island, visiting Santiago, Samana, and Santo Domingo, and need some advice about driving around.

I will probably spend two nights in Santiago, two or three in Las Terrenas/main town of Samana, and two nights in Santo Domingo.

Trying to work out distances and driving times between, and if possible easiest routes. Can anyone advise me of the following driving times (plus routes):

1. Santiago to Las Terrenas
2. Las Terrenas to Samana/Puerto Bahia
3. Samana/Puerto Bahia to Santo Domingo

Thinking of flying into Santiago, spending two nights there, then driving to Samana Peninsula, and then back down to Santo Domingo, where I will fly out. Does this route make sense?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Yes, that is doable. It is about 3-3.5hrs from Santiago to Las Terrenas. This route you will be coming from Santiago thru Moca, San Fransico, Nagua and at El Catey take the new section of highway into Las Terrenas. From Las Terrenas it is very simple. Take the new highway back to El Catey. Stay right onto Rt. 5 for about 3kms and you will see the entrance to the highway running north and south to Santo Domingo. You will need about 350 Pesos for tolls on this road. The road ends about 15 minutes from the airport. From Las Terrenas to Las Americas Airport is about 1:45 min driving time. Also from LT to Puerta Bahia in Samana is about 50-60min. Good luck. I live in Las Terrenas. If you need any other info send me a private message.

S