banking in the DR

J

jbup

I want to open a checking account with a bank that has branches in the D.R as well as in the U,S. I must be able to make monthly deposits and write checks to a vendor located in the D.R Banco popular is the first institution that comes to mind If anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to approach this matter,please respond either by post or to my e-mail address.

Thanks to all

S

Squat

Banco Popular really sucks !!!

I was with these guys for many years, and service was so bad, I switched to Banco Mercantil, who is really much more pleasant to deal with, and always efficient, I recommend it to anybody... I don't know if they have brances in the US, check their website at: www.mercantil.com.do

W

William Leslie

I believe that Banco Popular in the USA IS NOT THE SAME BANK although they may have an afiliation.
Maybe a few more comments will come online.

R

RON

BANCO POPULAR IN THE U.S. IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH BANCO POPULAR IN THE DR. I TRIED SETTING UP AN ACCOUNT FROM THEIR WEBSITE AND GOT AN EMAIL BACK THAT THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT BANKS.

J

jbup

Thanks for the info guys. I checked the archives for related info and i read the same thing. Oh well, back to square one.

G

Grahame Bush

I have not come across any bank here in the DR that facilitates drawing against payments made into a bank in another country. Transactions have to be 'wired' by bank electronic transer to an account in this country.

If you would like to let me know approximately how much has to be paid each month & to what area in the DR, I MIGHT have an idea as to how your 'problem' could be solved. Send it to my Hotmail address so that we can talk direct. - Grahame Bush.

C

CPaulino

I agree with Squat, banco Popular sucks! And watch out, they make suck you dry with fees! They charge you even for the air you breath.

S

Sarah

Why not just transfer $$$ using Western Union or some such company?

A

A. Nony Mouse

Why not send him checks in US dollars drawn on a US bank? He can change them at any Casa de Cambio where he is known or can deposit them into a US dollar account at any DR bank.

P

Phyllis

In Canada, I have an account with Scotia Bank and can transfer Canadian funds (doesn't matter the amount) to a Scotia Bank account in POP for a cost of $9. Within 2 days this money can be drawn out of the account in POP in pesos.

C

Carlos

citibank does these services....also bancredito have us banks afiliated were you can deposit the money in us and you will get them in dr......in dollars!!!!!!!