Divorce Division of assets

did

Nov 17, 2011
Hi there
I would like the opinion of you fine folks
I Met my ex-wife in May of 2005 and we married on December 30th 2005.
I bought a house on December 6th , 2005 (3 weeks before we were married)
(Signed Compraventa and Paid)

Long story short, She turned out to be a cheater. and more
I filed for and received a divorce for cause in December of 2010. (And Incompatibility)
I have the one son with me he is 3 years 8 months. But custody is not formally legalized yet.
She is in another Dominican City and now wants me to "buy out" her acquired share of the house.
I have already purchased furniture, Inverters , computer etc for her and paid her rent
I paid for the house with MY funds from my home country.
And have the transfers to prove it.
I also have a receipt from the person I bought the house from.
I didnt get the official titulo until March, 2006

Is she entitled to 50% under Dominican law?

did

Nov 17, 2011
I found all of my furniture receipts and Appliances , all was purchased prior to the wedding date. If I am correct there are no current recognitions of common law marriages in the DR ?

Jan 17, 2009
Totally confused with your question. If you are already divorced (2010), the divorce agreement (decree) should state how you separate your assets. How can she come back to you now to ask for her share? Or your divorce was not in the DR?

did

Nov 17, 2011
Totally confused with your question. If you are already divorced (2010), the divorce agreement (decree) should state how you separate your assets. How can she come back to you now to ask for her share? Or your divorce was not in the DR?

The court ordered divorce does not divide the assets. At least mine doesnt, As My lawyer explained She has to file for that seperatly. And theer has been no hearing regarding it either.

did

Nov 17, 2011
How come we aren't laughing at him yet for getting into this mess in the first place? Come on, you guys are slipping!

Yeah, these things only happen here in the DR , Divorce and cheating spouses dont exist in the rest of the world. How stupid of me to choose this country ! Based on other threads I have read , I expected the heartless, chesterfield commentators to come out that have nothing better to do but I do respect intelligent responses to my situation.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Did you have a prenup?

Here is a quote from Mr Guzman. Not sure if there has been any changes in this law. Yes you are correct about the courts not ordering the division of assets at the time of divorce.

A divorce in the Dominican Republic won't solve the problem since the division of matrimonial assets is not part of the divorce proceedings in the DR, unless it's by mutual consent which is not the case here. The division of assets comes AFTER the divorce.

The first thing that needs to be addressed is how the prenuptial was signed, in what language and whether it was recorded at the Civil Registry together with the marriage.

If you are getting married in the Dominican Republic, the separate property agreement must be prepared by a Dominican Notary BEFORE the marriage (that’s why it’s called a “prenuptial” agreement) and handed over to the Civil Registry Officer (“Oficial de Estado Civil”) at the marriage.
I am assuming that you’ll want the agreement to be enforceable in the Dominican Republic. If you don’t care about this but are only interested in its validity in your home country, then you’ll have to consult an attorney from home.

The prenuptial agreement is as simple or as complicated as the future spouses want it to be. A straight separation agreement is a very simple document. It will state in legal terms that whatever a spouse acquired before or during marriage will belong to him/her exclusively and that assets in a spouse’s name belong to that spouse exclusively.

If the spouses do not sign a prenuptial, their assets are governed by the community-property provisions of the Civil Code (Articles 1400 to 1496). Spouses are 50-50 owners of all matrimonial assets. These assets consist of the following:

1) All moveable properties (in essence, everything but real estate) belonging to either spouse at the time of the marriage or acquired by either of them during marriage, even by inheritance or gift unless the testator or donor has expressed otherwise.

2) All income from properties belonging exclusively for whatever reason to either spouse.

3) All immovable properties (real estate) acquired by either spouse during marriage.

To translate this into simple terms, without a “prenup,” whatever money, stocks, bonds, vehicles, credits, etc. (everything but real estate) you may have on the day of the marriage, is split 50-50 with your spouse when you say “yes, I do”. If your parents leave you $1,000,000 in their will and they do not expressly or implicitly state that this is for you alone, and not for your spouse, then your spouse will get 50%. (Fifteen years ago, I actually dealt with a case like this involving an American couple living in the DR).

You may ask why this is so. The answer is that we are, I believe, the only country in the world still governed by the original provisions of the Napoleonic Code, which dates from 1804, a time when wealth was almost exclusively “immovable”, i.e., real estate, and therefore it was not considered of importance that all “moveables” be part of the matrimonial community. In France, the code was amended a long time ago to include only properties acquired during marriage as community property.

did

Nov 17, 2011
Did you have a prenup?

Here is a quote from Mr Guzman. Not sure if there has been any changes in this law. Yes you are correct about the courts not ordering the division of assets at the time of divorce.

Thank you AnnaC
I Don't have a Prenup, and in a way, I am glad that I do not, I would have been far to generous in 2005.
This clears the air for me.
I have already tried to co-parent and set her up in an apartment, with a job etc. But she is only into "boys" and
is purely narcisstic. My home is for the future of my son , who is the center of my world.

Thanks

DiD

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
May I suggest a good lawyer

Good luck and if anyone posts any judgemental posts just ignore them. I'm a firm beleiver that when a question is asked in the legal forum people should receive legal advice and not judgement on their personal life. We have other forums for that ;)

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
It's extremely important to have your attorney examine the documentation for the purchase of the house: Was the Deed of Sale signed and recorded before or after the marriage? If it was before, the court will most probably consider it as community property even if the deal was made and paid for before.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It's extremely important to have your attorney examine the documentation for the purchase of the house: Was the Deed of Sale signed and recorded before or after the marriage? If it was before, the court will most probably consider it as community property even if the deal was made and paid for before.

Don't you mean after the marriage instead of before ??????????