translation help please??

M

mia

what is the english translation of "ay mami"? (not sure if I spelled it right)

thanx

mia

C

Clara

hey babe!

Where did you hear that? That is one of those unique Latino expressions that are hard to translate. I guess it could be translated "hey babe" ?any scholar who can help with this?

?Mami? is a diminutive of "mam?" or "madre" which mean mom or mother respectively. In that context it may be translated as ?mommy? (I call my own mother ?mami?).

In other cases it may refer to a woman towards whom a man feels no sonly love whatsoever. In those cases "mami" may be translated as babe, honey, sweetie or any expression alike ranging from cute to not so cute :eek:) But you should know that for some women being called ?mami? (unless you?re called so by your actual child) might be demeaning.

M

mia

Re: hey babe!

this dominican guy i met this weekend said it to me

H

hlywud

el buen trabajo, Clara,

mi software l?gica del traductor no sabe expresiones del argot

M

mia

Re: Aye papee should be your answer

so that would be a compliment to him?

M

mkohn

Seems like one of those 'phrases' that should be looked at in context. A feeble attempt at possible English translations:
'Oh baby'
'Well honey'
'Woah baby'
'Yeah baby' (Austin Powers) :)
'Oh mom'
'Oh honey'
It could be demeaning, but you should be able to tell by the situation. It's definately to a female. 'Ay' can be like a sigh. 'Mami' is most of the time a term of endearment.

C

CES

"?AYY...! Co?o Mam?, . . .

. . . QUE BUENA estas."

If you were to hear the above exclamation and depending on the body language:

1. Run like hell...

2. Slap face...

3. Blush like hell...

4. Think of an appropriate reply and see were it goes...

Regards,

. . . CES

B

Brenda

The phrase "Aye Mami" in English is something like "Oh Baby"
Dominican men use this phrase frequently. If I had a nickle for every time I heard "Aye Mami" when I lived there I would be a rich woman. LOL
At first I was insulted bye the phrase and would tell men, "I am NOT your mother"! but, as time passed and my friends taught me the culture, I learned that it is meant as a compliment. If it is your boyfriend using the phrase then it is a term of endearment.

M

mia

LOL! I can only WISH this guy was my boyfriend! But thanks everyone for the translations....at least I know it was a compliment, which I took it as at the time, but I didn't know the exact meaning in English. My spanish isn't too good yet.

F

FROSTY

"Ay Mami" Is something said when a man passes by a woman who he thinks is sexy or cute. It would be like "hey cutie", the term we american men use. It is nothing disrespectful or anything, it just shows that he thinks your cute or sexy. If you would have said "Ay Poppy" it would have meant you think that he is cute. He probaly would have smiled and tried to flirt with you.

"Mamma" is a term Puerto ricans and Dominicans use when they talk with women. "lil mamma" is used when they talk to younger females."Mami" has more flirtatious overtones, than "mamma" or "lil mamma" which are more formal.

I hope that answers your question, peace ma.