Dominican prison documentary?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I recently read an article about a fire in a Dominican prison in which several died. It also stated that this particular prison was one of the worst in the region, which would lead me to believe pretty nasty considering where we are in the world.
I've never come across documentaries about the DR in general, yet alone the prison system. There is little problem finding footage and articles on such things elsewhere in the region, and so I was wondering why so little about the DR in general, there is not much out there.

I looked into this after hearing something about the Brits being brought in to supervise and train a new prison system, which would be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not bad enough here. yes, call me nasty b*tch but i want to see the prison system that really punishes inmates. you have killed and there is no death sentence here? i am fine with that (not a huge fan of death sentence anyway). but i would like to see killer spend LIFE in prison. no tv. no gyms. no school (they are never getting out anyways). no visits (a dead victim has no family visits, right? neither should the killer). work all the time, 7 days a week. with no pay. you broke the law? f**k you, there will be NO law to protect you now.
of course a dominican prison has it's good sides. someone who has been sentenced for raping children? now, that's what i call death sentence, other prisoners will kill him SLOWLY. but if you have monies and connections you can have as much cocaine as you can blow, as many hookers as you can bang and whatever else you may want to wish for.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That is as far from the impression this article painted for me as you could possibly get. Where is the info you have on such luxury. I have the painted pictures of rat infested cramped dangerous hell holes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha. ha. ha. you must be kidding me. have you ever seen photos of sobeida since her arrest? always make up, never the same set of clothes, nails done, har done. he's in a f**king SPA, not prison.
i told you, if the prisoner has money they have a good life. if they are poor thieves from the barrio they do live like rats. it's not that they didn't have a shi**y life before prison as well...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I suspect the overwhelming majority of prisoners live like rats then. You are not talking about the typical criminals. High profile criminals have always had a certain degree of special treatment, anywhere in the world.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Watch this video, prisoners having fun!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VryWoInr0FA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
That is as far from the impression this article painted for me as you could possibly get. Where is the info you have on such luxury. I have the painted pictures of rat infested cramped dangerous hell holes.

Do a search for Rolando Florian Feliz and you'll be able to see how you can live in a Dominican prison if you have the money.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Do a search for Rolando Florian Feliz and you'll be able to see how you can live in a Dominican prison if you have the money.

......yes....and while slightly off topic........with all that money and all that 'luxury', it didn't do him much good as we all know he was killed there as well.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
......yes....and while slightly off topic........with all that money and all that 'luxury', it didn't do him much good as we all know he was killed there as well.

True, but everybody knows that was either an assassination paid for some powerful interests or at a minimum a case of him believing he was too powerful to have any restrictions put on him. He was having a party with two women in there (one of them a minor) when he got killed.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
somehow i am not crying...
I could understand your indifference if all those who perished were bad guys. But chances are, with the Dominican system as it is, many were doing time for minor crimes and didn't have the money to buy their way out.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I could understand your indifference if all those who perished were bad guys. But chances are, with the Dominican system as it is, many were doing time for minor crimes and didn't have the money to buy their way out.

If I remember correctly this fire was at najayo, the prisoners jammed the lock so the guards could not get in to stop a fight. then when the mattress were set on fire they could not get out! about 300 died. mostly their own damn fault.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
no I think they are talking about the prison problem last week where a man was killed , there was a fire and some rioting