Dominican draft in new MLB collective bargaining agreement

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
mlb-logo-1.gif

NEW YORK ? A mob of hundreds assembled outside Sandy Alderson?s hotel in Santo Domingo. This was April 2010, when Major League Baseball dispatched Alderson to sheriff troubles in the Dominican Republic. The group of agents and prospects issued a three-word plea to baseball officials looking to alter their free-agent system.
?No al draft,? they shouted upward toward the future general manager of the Mets. ?No to the draft.?
It appears the protesters? nightmare may soon become a reality.
As part of the new collective bargaining agreement, Major League Baseball took significant steps toward establishing a worldwide draft, while in the process attempting to curb spending in the Rule 4 draft and on the international market. Both changes reflect the willpower of commissioner Bud Selig and his long-standing wish for ?competitive balance.?
The new system could limit those clubs, such as the Mets, looking to rebuild through aggressive spending over-slot in the draft each June. Each club will instead receive an assigned amount that it can spend based on draft slots. If the club exceeds that amount, they will be penalized. Teams can lose cash and future picks by ignoring the imposed restrictions.
In addition, clubs with low revenue and clubs in smaller markets will be entered into a draft for compensatory first-round picks.
Paul DePodesta, the Mets? vice president for scouting and player development, was diplomatic when asked about the changes. ?Way too much to digest at this moment, ?DePodesta said via e-mail. ?But it will still come down to picking the right players.?
The prospect of an international draft is more complex.
Inside the new CBA there are guidelines for a signing bonus pool for the international market. If clubs exceed that pool, they will be penalized, with the penalties increasing by 2014 if a draft has not yet been established.
Rob Manfred, the lead negotiator for the commissioner?s office, called this process ?like a poison pill to motivate people to get to a draft. We feel like we?re either going to get to a draft in year three, like we?ve always wanted, or we?re going to have an even stronger penalty.?
Michael Weiner, the head of the union, indicated ?we would not agree to anything unless there was a viable alternative for a player who wanted to pursue a professional baseball career if he?s drafted by a club in year one, and he doesn?t want to sign. That way, he?s not stuck in some kind of limbo.?
Others worry a worldwide draft penalizes the teams that have already succeeded in the international market.
?It rewards the teams that aren?t putting big resources down there,? said Kevin Goldstein, who covers the minor leagues for Baseball Prospectus. ?Teams have put huge investments down there, and have opened academies, and have teams of scouts and developments down there for a reason: So they can find these kids and bring them up. Now, basically, they?re finding kids for everybody.?
For more Mets coverage, follow Andy McCullough on Twitter at twitter.com/Ledger_NYMets
Andy McCullough: amccullough@starledger.com

Potential for international draft in new MLB collective bargaining agreement could cause chaos | NJ.com

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
They already limited the top bonuses for prospects at 3MM, what a way to hose our young prospects. I hope Leonel Fernandez says something about this...

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
They already limited the top bonuses for prospects at 3MM, what a way to hose our young prospects. I hope Leonel Fernandez says something about this...

The prospects are clueless and do what they are told, and lets not forget about the Buscones...MLB is on to these guys...

They drew alot of bad publicity to Baseball in the Dominican Republic.

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The prospects are clueless and do what they are told, it's the Buscones....(Please take advantage of me) that are feeling the pain.....

Buscones will still get their share, the prospects will see their bonuses cut. Something needs to be done soon...look at PR baseball state..

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Buscones will still get their share, the prospects will see their bonuses cut. Something needs to be done soon...look at PR baseball state..

Agreed..........I just can't stand these guys, I just wish they had better representation in the "early development years"...

But it is what it is, not a perfect system, but it works.

Unfair??...maybe? when it comes time to split that bonus?.....(I'm being generous with the "split")......but that's a whole different conversation......

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Perhaps I didn't read the new system correctly, but it seems the buscones would lose the most out of this - and rightly so. They have a perceived value in the market as a middle man. A draft would pool all the prospects together, ideally ending the payoffs and other nefarious activities that go on.

Maybe "ending" the activities is a leap of faith, but something needs to be done to restructure the way the international market is currently constituted.

I'm sure that "mob of hundreds" outside MLB in SDO was an interesting group.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Perhaps I didn't read the new system correctly, but it seems the buscones would lose the most out of this - and rightly so. They have a perceived value in the market as a middle man. A draft would pool all the prospects together, ideally ending the payoffs and other nefarious activities that go on.

Maybe "ending" the activities is a leap of faith, but something needs to be done to restructure the way the international market is currently constituted.

I'm sure that "mob of hundreds" outside MLB in SDO was an interesting group.

Wrong, a draft will effectively kill baseball in the DR just as it did in PR. The only ones advocating for an international draft are those who wants to see more white faces on the field...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Wrong, a draft will effectively kill baseball in the DR just as it did in PR. The only ones advocating for an international draft are those who wants to see more white faces on the field...

The Draft didn't kill PR baseball, it was the lack of support from the local politicians to the league which did the job. Also only the very first MLB players with star status from PR were the ones to come back and play for the winter leagues there. After a few seasons they never played again as they wanted to get "paid" for their presence to bolster their wages from MLB contracts.

Greed played an important part as well...

A country with way less than 4 million people and only 4 teams in the mix, it's hard to make the case for economic support when they want to charge MLB prices at the venues and merchandise all over...