DR: greenhouse gases

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I just read this in today's news items on DR1
"The Dominican Republic is the eighth most damaged country in the world due to the effects of climate change, and 3% of the world's greenhouse gases are produced in the country, according to a report in El Nuevo Diario."

I suppose the first part could be true if they mean relative to size, but how can the second possibly be true? Do they mean 0.03% or 0.003% (as I have seen similar misunderstandings of decimals here before). Even 0.3% would seem too much in view of the tiny size of DR industry compared with huge industrial countries.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I just checked today's DR1 news and don't see the item you're referring to, but I did find the original El Nuevo Diario story. They're citing an Oxfam study which I haven't heard of and am having trouble finding. I seriously doubt both claims -- 8th most damaged, and emitting 3% of GHG worldwide total. Actually, I think 3% probably covers GHG emissions for most of Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), not just the DR. As for 8th most damaged (or likely to be damaged), maybe the DR could be the 8th most damaged among LAC nations in the future, but I've never seen it on the top ten list of countries to be be impacted by climate change. And "most damaged" in what sense? Impact on GDP? Biodiversity? Food production? Something else? No, either El Nuevo Diario has this seriously wrong and is misquoting (wouldn't put it past them), or the Oxfam report is off.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Given that Canada has more than 3 times the population, is cold, has numerous trains...etc and industry and a massive oil, gas, and coal industry and still only produces 2% of greenhouse gases, there must be a mistake in the article. Considering there hasn't been hotter weather, dryer weather, wetter weather, more storms...etc any degradation to the land in the DR has been man-made but not greenhouse gas related. Perhaps the flooding in the south-west is what they are referring to.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I can't find the report anywhere online. It was probably produced by Interm?n Oxfam (Spain) which is represented in the DR, but it's not on their website.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There is an awful lot of burning here. All over the countryside people burn trash, brush and assorted other junk. That could create a lot of soot and ash going into the atmosphere. I bought a piece of land about 100 meters from the beach. If my calculations are correct it will beach front in approximately 225.37 years. Just speculating.

S