English and Spanish on DR1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Why is it that some regular posters insist on writing in English and Spanish on DR1?
Some posters will often add some Spanish/Dominican saying along with their posts.
This is an English message board. It would be nice if when they do that they could write a translation in English next to the Spanish phrase. Not everyone on DR1 knows Spanish.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think that it is a problem as most of us that do that only do it here and there and its usually only a sentence or two. I would say something else but lord knows I don't feel like hearing the backlash tonight.
Oh, hell, they won't be able to translate it anyway....Lo encuentro raro cuando una persona "supuestamente" ama tanto a un pais pero no aprende el idioma. Visitan cada a?o, tienen amigos Dominicanos, hasta casarse con Dominicanos sin poder decir naaaaaa. Que pena!

SHALENA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Saved me the trouble....Learn the language...come on!!! It is easy!! Spanish poorly spoken is easier understood than English poorly spoken. Yo querer comer is universally understood. Yo tener agua....no problem. Gracias...Muchas gracias. Muy amable!

HB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Why is it that some regular posters insist on writing in English and Spanish on DR1?
Some posters will often add some Spanish/Dominican saying along with their posts.
This is an English message board. It would be nice if when they do that they could write a translation in English next to the Spanish phrase. Not everyone on DR1 knows Spanish.

No comprendo! :confused:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Saved me the trouble....Learn the language...come on!!! It is easy!!............

HB
Although the numbers have dwindled over the years a lot of DR1 readers are tourists and have no desire to learn Spanish. It wouldn't take much for those who write in Spanish to also include a translation. Sure one could probably use an online translator but the nature of this board is an English speaking message board.

I believe this subject has been covered in the past and the consensus of management was in agreement this is an English speaking board.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m_mDTLphIVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Geez, I could understand if people were writing whole posts in Spanish but from what I've seen, its only been a sentence or two. Usually just a little something to drive home the point or an exclamation, "Ay, Mi madre!" but I haven't seen whole posts written in Spanish in a while except for the occasional Hispanic that gets lost looking for Plastic surgery info, or better yet, a parent.....

SHALENA

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Estoy de acuerdo con Dulce! DR1 es un foro en Ingles!

Por cual razon algunas personas usan Espa?ol en sus posts, esta fuera de mi comprenderlo!
Pienso que quizas lo hacen apote y con ma?a...

Ay, ay, ay!

Feb 7, 2007
I believe this subject has been covered in the past and the consensus of management was in agreement this is an English speaking board.

The consensus of the management, if I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong, was that this was a bilingual board, and both English and Spanish can be officially used here.

now, an OP written in Spanish might get considerably fewer responses than OP written in English, but it is indeed acceptable.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I speak, read and write in Spanish. This post is not about me nor is about you Shalena. Quite a few regular posters do it.
Not everybody posting has lived in the DR or traveled there often.
New or infrequent posters wouldn't know Spanish.
I understand if someone who doesn't know English writes in Spanish.

I repeat: It would be nice if when they do that they could write a translation in English next to the Spanish phrase. Not everyone on DR1 knows Spanish. That would be courteous for non Spanish speaking members.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The consensus of the management, if I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong, was that this was a bilingual board, and both English and Spanish can be officially used here.

now, an OP written in Spanish might get considerably fewer responses than OP written in English, but it is indeed acceptable.
Let's wait for Robert's response...................

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Certainly Spanish can be written especially if the person doesn't know English. We can still help them out with advice.
We are here to help each other.
Hopefully we can have a little fun with it like Pichardo's post. Buy the way, Pichardo can you translate that for me?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I speak, read and write in Spanish. This post is not about me nor is about you Shalena. Quite a few regular posters do it.
Not everybody posting has lived in the DR or traveled there often.
New or infrequent posters wouldn't know Spanish.
I understand if someone who doesn't know English writes in Spanish.

I repeat: It would be nice if when they do that they could write a translation in English next to the Spanish phrase. Not everyone on DR1 knows Spanish. That would be courteous for non Spanish speaking members.

You have a sick obsession with me.
If you love me so much, I can send you a pic and you can do your business in private.
If you hate ne so much, you can easily put me on ignore, its very easy to do.

Either way, do something, me das verg?enza.
I'm just sayin'

SHALENA

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I don't have an obsession with you at all! IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!!!!
I'm just saying!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
It annoys me when people say learn spanish its easy - maybe for those who have a natural ability, ive done every course known to man and some not , and still cant understand a word of spoken spanish (slight exaggeration)

Remember that as you get older you have short term memory problems so its not quite as easy as one thought it would be. I know a few of the basics but new words dont stick , hence I have no vocabulary whatsoever

Its a wonderful thing to be able to speak several languages but one shouldnt try to belittle people who find it difficult

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are various online translators that can be added to web browsers that enable one to highlight the phrase and right click the mouse and a pop up window comes up with the translation. I use google chrome with a free add on that uses google translate for the words in Spanish I don't understand.

Esto resuelve el asunto de no entender los posts en espa?ol pero en el caso del dizque centro de universo, temo que dicho va tras la quinta pata del gatico. :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You have a sick obsession with me.
If you love me so much, I can send you a pic and you can do your business in private.
If you hate ne so much, you can easily put me on ignore, its very easy to do.

Either way, do something, me das verg?enza.
I'm just sayin'

SHALENA

I suggest you take a break from DR1. it's obviously disagreeing with you.
Don't both replying, it will just be erased. If you have something to say to me, PM me.

Moving on...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's wait for Robert's response...................

This board is obviously predominantly English based, but I see no issues using Spanish when it's required, makes a point etc.
It's the full blown threads in Spanish that we try and avoid, as it excludes a lot of posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.