Might be the Perfect Motorcycle for the DR...and Me Wants!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This looks awesome: 250cc of heavy duty awesomeness:

Yamaha XTW250 RYOKU Concept ? the SUV Motorcycle

11611-yamaha-xtw250-ryoku-concept.jpg

A mini Adventure Tourer...

:cool:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That's for some serious off road use.

I'd like it if they could get it to output 50hp and weigh no more than 225 lbs, but i doubt they could do it with those tires and all the extras.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Nice. I wonder how much one of those bad boys will cost? Not cheap i bet.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Nice motorcycle for what it is made for, but useless in the DR, we already have 50 cc motorcycles outputting 10's of HP, just look around, capable of carrying a full family of five with a full tank of LPG!!!!

g;luck

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
But does it come with that Star Trek style forcefield that most Dominican motorcycles are equipped with? Apparently it allows you to ride your bike in the pitch black with no lights, in the pouring rain and any two tonne jeepeta bearing down on you will simply bounce off if it gets too close!

I think that if it is exported to the Dominican market they will have to remove the bulb from the rear light and replace the front bulb with a ten million candle power xenon one aimed at drivers retinas to conform to Dominican standards.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Cobraboy,

you already own 11 of the best bikes made for this island (hands down the best bike!!): Suzuki V-Strom 650 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just look at some of the awards your bikes have won: The V-Strom 650 was named one of the "ten best" bikes under $10,000 by Motorcyclist (USA) magazine, October, 2007—beating out, among many others, the V-Strom 1000. In a September 2006 article, Cycle World magazine wrote "the DL650 may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today."<sup id="cite_ref-cycle_world_2006_10-0" class="reference">[11]</sup> A 2004 article from MotorcycleUSA.com said "it was hard to imagine another machine with a competitive versatility-per-dollar ratio."<sup id="cite_ref-motorcycle_usa_6-1" class="reference">[7]</sup> Twice consecutively, the DL650 has earned the title "Alpenkoenig", winning German Motorrad magazine's trans-alp multi-bike test in 2005 and 2006.<sup id="cite_ref-Motorrad_Online_11-0" class="reference">[12]</sup>
<sup class="reference"></sup>
<sup></sup>
<sup></sup>

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Although I've had many bikes in the past, I can't say that I'm a big know it all when talking about bikes. However, I personally believe that the Ducati MultiStrada is the best bike for the DR, you literally get four (4) bikes in one with this one.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y5XUZ-hiY08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There's also a baby Tenere:

[video=youtube;QL-oxhEIp6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL-oxhEIp6o[/video]

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Although I've had many bikes in the past, I can't say that I'm a big know it all when talking about bikes. However, I personally believe that the Ducati MultiStrada is the best bike for the DR, you literally get four (4) bikes in one with this one.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y5XUZ-hiY08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I know several with Multi-Strada's. Fantastic bikes for short folks who really love expensive, high-maintenance mistresses. :)

"Ducati: trainin motorcycle mechanics for over 60 years..." :cheeky:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There's also a baby Tenere:

[video=youtube;QL-oxhEIp6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL-oxhEIp6o[/video]

Now that's what I'm talking about.

A lot can be said for a small lightweight bike (especially when one is a small lightweight:) ) that can go easily through traffic yet still be comfortable enough on the highway for medium long trips.

I can't imagine they will be importing this one and I imagine it would probably be too expensive but still is nice to dream about.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy,

you already own 11 of the best bikes made for this island (hands down the best bike!!): Suzuki V-Strom 650 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just look at some of the awards your bikes have won: The V-Strom 650 was named one of the "ten best" bikes under $10,000 by Motorcyclist (USA) magazine, October, 2007—beating out, among many others, the V-Strom 1000. In a September 2006 article, Cycle World magazine wrote "the DL650 may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today."<sup id="cite_ref-cycle_world_2006_10-0" class="reference">[11]</sup> A 2004 article from MotorcycleUSA.com said "it was hard to imagine another machine with a competitive versatility-per-dollar ratio."<sup id="cite_ref-motorcycle_usa_6-1" class="reference">[7]</sup> Twice consecutively, the DL650 has earned the title "Alpenkoenig", winning German Motorrad magazine's trans-alp multi-bike test in 2005 and 2006.<sup id="cite_ref-Motorrad_Online_11-0" class="reference">[12]</sup>
<sup></sup>
<sup></sup>
No argument from me, Frank. There are better bikes for different tasks available (dirt/gravel, autopista, city, twisties, hard-packed, 2-up, etc.). But if you could only own one bike, the V-Strom DL650 would be the best choice at the best value.

(You'll have first hand knowledge next Thursday...;))

But I really like that tough little fat-tired Yamahammer for basic putzing around...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Taino808,

I know a guy in Bonao selling a 2010 Ducati Multistrada for only $25,000 Dollars!!! He's a friend of my family. here is his bike (it's been miss-labeled as a Monster S4 but its a Multistrada) on Supercarros.com

Ducati Monster S4 2010 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #190996

Now, compare the price and up keep of a Ducati Multistrada with a Suzuki DL650, and you understand why the Suzuki is hands down the better "Bang-for-the Buck" bike.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The Yamaha Tenere would be great/fantastic bike for this counttry (my cousin just bought the 2012 Yamaha Tenere in Florida in September). but again, here's the problem. the bike costs him $15,000 dollars. And to bring it into this country it will cost him another $6,000. That now brings the total price of the bike, minus shipping & insurance, to $21,000 dollars.

Compare that to the Suzuki Dl 650, and again, you see that it is by far, and i mean--light years ahead--the better bang-for-the-buck choice.

FRank

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I know several with Multi-Strada's. Fantastic bikes for short folks who really love expensive, high-maintenance mistresses. :)

"Ducati: trainin motorcycle mechanics for over 60 years..." :cheeky:

I have a friend with one here in Santiago and I've yet to here him say one negative thing about his bike, on the contrary he's alway going on and on about how great his bike is. Come to think of it, he's only had this bike for 9 months, I guess we'll have to wait for a lil while long to see how good this bike truly is.