Opening a English School

J Espanol

Feb 28, 2011
I have currently been living in Santo Domingo for 6 months, and I am working at an American style school. I enjoy teaching as it is my passion, and I would like to open my own school. If anyone has any information on what steps I would need to take, and or any other information, opinions, or suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.:)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So far I have seen: tought instead of "taught" ...and form instead of "forum" and others rather than "others'" --which I find awkward and would have preferred other people's mistakes..

I think what is at issue here is that you posted that you would like to start a school that will teach mostly in English, with a curriculum that will achieve accreditation by a United State accrediting agency here in the Dominican Republic. You asked about issues.

Well, one of them is "Just how well qualified are you to attempt such a venture?" Do you have the degrees necessary to do this? I think what Mean Ol' Tambo was saying was that if you can write a English, this might indicate a lack of academic preparation on your part.

Another issue is that there are really very few controls on setting up schools. Most of the requirements are government regulations regarding employees, social security, and such. You really can get a way with a lot as you can see in any barrio in the country.

My experience indicates that the major English Language schools were well funded from the "git-go"...I actually overheard the first conversations that led to the setting up of the St. George School...they were sitting at the next table and talked quite loudly...but they talked about big money, too.

So, bottom line, a lot of people will look at your posts as "a educator" and question whether or not you are, really. Others will encourage you to try for it. Me? I am with the latter, if you have the wherewithal to get it done.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hillbilly....how about this one..

"prolly"

instead of probably.

SHALENA

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hillbilly's post was absolutely bang-on, informative and helpful, and I couldn't agree more. To be honest, my daughter (in Grade 1 at an 'English' school in Cabrera, is currently being taught English by a very poorly English speaking Dominicana. Her teacher, although a lovely person, has absolutely no idea how to string a sentence together properly in English and it's been an uphill battle for sure...
I've decided to enrol her (in January) in an actual English school with FORMALLY trained teachers that are English-speakers and overall absolutely wonderful people. Win win :)

In my opinion, having also taught here and experienced what can be passed as Academic 'excellence' (that is SO far below standard that I won't even get started) I'm with HB on this one: unless you have an extremely strong backing both financially and academically, it's best not to venture there. Why not go for something along the lines of a home daycare? It would probably offer you decent money, and there's not so much actual teaching involved... :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh SHALENA!!! You know our friend CB speaks in Floridese....gummint or gubmint, prolly, and y'alls and such stuff...You have to recognize the writer...Besides writing in dialect is fun, sometimes...In Florida, at least in the sticks of Florida: Jeet yet? Nope, jew? is a conversation...

Did you ever see that crazy movie Porkies? I think it was...??? I darn near busted a gut laughin' at that one...

Be well..

HB

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
So did you open the school?! I went looking for a school where they could teach my Spanish, I'm not sure if I understood the guy well but he told me he paid only 200 DOP per month to learn English. That is 1 happy meal! LOL! That won't fill your pockets unless you've got 100's of students.

What I do know and noticed, if you're out here (like really being involved) you can get yourself a name and let many people take classes because I ran in to a lot of people who for sure would like to learn English.

pablo25

Apr 8, 2012
Did you open the school? I am a certified teacher myself . which American style school did you work for?