The country with streets paved with gold.

C

Clara

I am an avid and longtime reader of ?News of the Weird?, a newspaper section now online which reports the weirdest news from around the world. When I was reading today?s news in DR1 I couldn?t help but wonder if maybe I hadn?t got in the wrong website. The news reported today from DR is just as weird as any ?News of the Weird?.

DR reports on the cost of building the Jacobo Majluta highway, more than RD$97 million per kilometer. Good god almighty!! Is the darn road paved with gold?! How much did it cost to ?build? the potholes on the road? Last time I drove on that road it was awful, where did all that money go?

Then I read about Hipo confessing that governing was harder than he thought. So, he does think after all! That did surprise me. Let?s see, if he continues to improve in that ?thinking thing? he may finally start doing something right. And then Hipo mentioned something about ?state security?, what exactly does he mean? I suppose that unbeknownst to us we are at war with another country. Or is it that we are planning to invade another country, the US maybe?

And, how about Balaguer having the last word on the Bonds? I mean, if this is a seniority thing, we could always find older mummies in Egypt. I hope they let Balaguer rest in peace? soon.

DR1 News also reports about the government investing in a merchant marine fleet. Well, that looks good on paper, but I am sure it is a doomed project. That is one of the few things in life I know about and I can tell you it is the stupidest thing I read in the news today. Betcha can top that!

E

Ed and Mame

I "enjoy" weird stuff, too! Clara, please send me the link for the "Weird News"!! We also want to say that your political, governmental related comments are always interesting - You sound like us - justifiably criticizing our government !! Your sense of humor is great !! the way you word things! -Ed and Mame-

T

Tom

Last time the DR had any merchant ships Hitler got pissed and sunk "BOTH" of them

C

CPaulino

Re:Ya ain't seen nothin' yet!!!

And what about Hippo lecturing about his reforestation plans and enforcement of Enviromental laws while his Minister of Enviroment announces that haitians are burning wood for charcoal along our border with help from our military and local PRD officials!

Or Hippo inaugurating an Herrera Industrial Zone Street while there are riots going on in Las palmas, a section of Herrera and a female college student is shot in the back by police and tires and vehicles are burning in protest for blackouts!

This is why this is called "El Pais de Las Maravillas"

C

CES

From "DR1 Daily News" ~~~

"Now, for whomever becomes President it is harder than I thought, because there are security problems, problems unknown by most of the people, ..." He blamed the difficulties on the reluctance, indifference and lack of desire of people to pay taxes which would translate into welfare for many people. He said, "People who live in the countryside, mountains and barrios want the state to come to their assistance to maintain the biodiversity, the environment and the natural resources. Then the state has to place itself in the middle to bring people to agreements and social compromise through the nation, that is why it is a difficult position."

~~~ President Hip?lito Mej?a

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
" ...there are security problems, problems unknown by most of the people, ..."

Meaning, * it's very difficult to deal with heavily armed groups (nuevo Yorks that shoot back at the NP, police) and "problems unknown", just exactly how much money the PRD was going to steal.

"... which would translate into welfare for many people."

Meaning, * putting on the national payroll tens of thousands of "Come Hierbas"

"... People who live in the ..."

Meaning, * it takes a lot of money pay off the people that voted the PRD into power.

"... Then the state has to place itself in the middle ..."

Meaning, * the people paying their taxes are getting 'really P..... at me' (head agronomist) for squandering every thing in the national treasury and trying to borrow MORE. . .

. . . CES

T

Tom

Maybe real change is about to happen

but I don't want to experience it

A

Abraham S.

Many Dominicans died as a resolt of that act, many people who were helping the "allied" war cause by carrying food and medicine for the Brithish soldiers in Jamaica.

R

Rafael

Will you look at that!!!

So, Hitler felt an urge to sink Dominican ships. I wonder if "neutral" Spain had something to say about that.