Who are you??

K

Kathy

Ed and Mame! Who are you? and why are you moving to DR?. (not being sarcastic) Just curious. I wish I could move there too.

E

Ed and Mame

We're a couple of oldies, 65 and 67, retired. When we met 16 years ago, in Atlanta (we married) and we bought a bunch of acreage in the hills of north GA. Ed built a log cabin - dream we've both had all our lives. Were there for 10 years. Needed a "change of scenery." Moved here to Florida panhandle. Now we're ready for a change again and, after much research, found DR offers us a beautiful island, a "new" lifestyle, and a good way to live on our meager social security checks - and to get away from the news on U.S. TV !!! We're looking forward to our fact-finding trip in a few weeks. That's about it, dearie!

-Ed and Mame-

H

Henry

So do not buy local newspapers!

You might drop from showers into pouring rain!

Henry

T

trina

Ed and Mame

I have a feeling, from your positive responses and attitudes thus far, that you are going to love the DR, and make the best of anything that comes your way. You bring a breath of fresh air to this board, while others (me especially, lately) have been on the cranky side. Take care, and best of luck! I should be going down soon, maybe end of June or early July, to Sosua. Hopefully, we can get together, and I can show you what I can of the area and introduce you to some great people.

E

Ed and Mame

TRINA

Yes, we are usually optimistic people, with good attitudes, quite flexible in most circumstances, adjusting to situations quite easily. But, then, DR is going to be "a whole 'nother PLANET" to us, so we should wait until we've been there, done that before we make any comments, give any opinions. One must be "there" (wherever) to make any judgments! Came across this quote yesterday:
A person cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of his own shore. -Andrew Gide-
We can relate to that. Thanks for your friendliness and courtesy to us!! -Ed and Mame-
P.S. The people you offered to introduce us to - who are they and why would we want to meet them and vice versa?

T

trina

Ed and Mame

Thought you might like to know some ex-pats that could help you settle in, you may need some help getting things done if you don't speak much Spanish. However, you seem to have gotten a lot of help from people on this board and similar offers. Take care, will contact you closer to the time when I know I will be in the area.

E

Ed and Mame

Re: So do not buy local newspapers!

HENRY; We know that's a possibility - ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD THESE DAYS. Since the days of the Bible, things really have not changed at all ... So, if it does pour, we'll just be sure to bring a couple of umbrellas! Thanks for response! -Ed and Mame-

E

Ed and Mame

Re: Ed and Mame

TRINA: and where are you??? Santo Domingo? Yes, having some "experienced" friends would be wonderful - we'll see; however, we're quite self-sustaining (I hope that trait will continue!!) I (Mame) am quite good at Italian and some French, and have been exposed to Spanish, and have quite good pronunciation in other languages, so I know I'll pick it up really quick. Am also a very good "mime"!! Please keep our e-mail address handy. Thanks very, very much. -Ed and Mame-

T

trina

Actually, I think the last I'd read was that you are going to Puerto Plata. Has that changed to Santo Domingo? If so, I don't know anyone from that area. I know you will be all right, and you are right, once you are immersed in the language and culture, you will pick it up very quickly.

K

Kathy

Oh that is so sweet!! I wish you a lot of luck and I know that you will enjoy DR very much. Maybe when I become of the age of retiring I will retire to DR also.... Again much luck and enjoy your stay.