children citizenship

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
Hello everyone, can someone explain the procedure on how to make my children dominican citizens? I am a natural born citizen, but my wife is also a citizen via my citizenship. During the first procedure, I hired a lawyer and was unaware of the process. Can someone tell me what is the filing procedure and the amount it cost?
Thanks....

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
IF you are a dominican citizen it's not that hard. You get the birth certificates from your children, have it legalized at the Dominican Consulate in the country they were born (probably first the foreign affairs ministry and then the consulate). Those legalized papers you legalize at the foreign affairs ministry in Santo Domingo (if not in spanish you have to have them translated by an official translator) and legalize them at the JCE.

These papers accompanied by a letter requesting transcription of a birthcertificate of children of dominicans born abroad you bring to the legal department of JCE (Av. Luperon), they will take 10 days to decide and then you can bring the birth certificates to an oficialia de circunscripci?n and get them inscribed.

Im in this process now, costs until now very less. 300 pesos each legalization at JCE and 600 pesos each legalization at foreign affairs in Santo Domingo. Rest of the process is free I think. Going to the legal department of the JCE today to deposit the papers.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Correction: you don't need to legalize the birth certificate at the JCE, just: foreign affairs in the country of birth, consulate in the country of birth and foreign affairs in DR. If you need an example letter to request transcription I can send you one.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just went to 'consultoria juridica' of the JCE and deposited the papers. Had to pay 500 pesos, it seems it's per application of children of the same parent, not per child. You need to bring:
1 set of copies of the documents you deposit. (legalized certificate, letter, copy cedula) and a Manila file folder (they insist on that).

In my case I have to come back 2nd of February to get the result, so it's not 10 days.

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
Hi Mauricio, I sent you a private message. Hope everything is o.k. I am still interested in the process and have a few more questions. Thanks.

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
Hi...further to this question, can only one parent request citizenship and passport without the other parent's permission? Or do both parents have to sign the application for a Dominican passport?