Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie - First Full Day In La Republica - Some Thoughts

A lot of you chimed in to my previous thread. It is now closed. Here are some thought after 24 hours in the DR.
    First, I commented in the last thread that I look Dominican. Well, it is confirmed. They are surprised when the find out I am American. I do speak decent Spanish, but being here tells me to keep pushing to get better.

-There is a lot to like and a lot to dislike

---Cheap Transportation From City To City
    ---Perople Friendly (So Far)
    ---Generally cheap - so far
    ---People like to have fun. Went to the Malecon the first night. Had fun, felt perfectly safe. They had kareoke, people were really getting into it. Little kids riding around on power wheels. Was nice.

--Dislike
    ---All my contacts have to worry about using up their cell minutes
    ---Cant drink the water from the tap
    ---Apparently not safe. I havent felt danger - but all the warnings from EVERYONE is a bit much
    ---Trash in the streets
    ---The poverty that is apparent.
    ---Cant use my credit card nearly as much as in the states.

--Still Deciding
    ---Traffic patterns. Not Sure if this is good or bad
    ---Dogs in the streets, I hate to see dogs in cages. The dogs on the streets dont seem to bother anyone

Those are some initial thoughts. Today is New Year's Eve. We will see what the day brings! Thanks all for the support and commentary.

Btw. Arrived 12/29 to Santo Domingo about 6pm. Went to the Malecon about 8pm - back to the hotel about 10.30pm. Day 2 went to Santiago early. Got there at 11am. Stayed till about 4pm. Back at hotel in Santo Domingo about 6.30pm. Stayed in last night.

2. Likes dulce, Tom F., ExtremeR liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you are easing your way into your surroundings. It also sounds like you listened to some advice from DR1.
    Have fun! Thanks for the update.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs on the street in cages? In Sto Domingo?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    Dogs on the street in cages? In Sto Domingo?
    I think they meant they were still deciding if they LIKED to see dogs on the streets, because they hate to see them in cages.

6. Likes abretusojos10 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I like your update... Your insight is cool and you can look back at it in a few months (if you are still here?)

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Your contacts are worried about using their cell minutes? Bear in mind that incoming calls do NOT use minutes, they are free. Only the person initiating the call uses minutes.

Happy New Year, this is the first one in several years that we haven't been in Santo Domingo, I'm jealous! :-)

Administrator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Yes - I meant I see dogs on the streets roaming freely here. Its cool to not see them in cages. However, they tend to look malnourished.

As far as the minutes go - I was no able to buy minutes with my credit card. My phone came with like 14 minutes worth of call time. So I havent really been able to call anyone.

We'll see what tonight brings. I know it may get crazy. But, everywhere is crazy during New Years Eve!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

ezetop | Recharge friends and family worldwide | Top up Online

You can charge your phone with your CC with this.

11. Likes susan77 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a third world country....the dogs and cats breed freely and are indeed malnourished, often wild and abused. I love SD but the culture for humans here is not one of condoms and sex education (the resulting massive numbers of illegitimate kids is proof) ....and pets are afforded far less services than the humans. I have (in only a little over a year of frequent visits), seen dog and cat poverty that is indeed heart wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMitchell View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yes - I meant I see dogs on the streets roaming freely here. Its cool to not see them in cages. However, they tend to look malnourished.

As far as the minutes go - I was no able to buy minutes with my credit card. My phone came with like 14 minutes worth of call time. So I havent really been able to call anyone.

We'll see what tonight brings. I know it may get crazy. But, everywhere is crazy during New Years Eve!

13. Dislikes abretusojos10 disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

recarga? very simple. go to colmado or pharmacy or helado shop, really, you can top up your phone everywhere. give them your number and state the amount of money you want to put in. no need for credit card, you can pay in dollars, i am sure you have small bills. the exchange rate will be bad but you'll have it done. normally you'e get 35 pesos to a dollar or so, when you change 5 or 10 bucks it really makes no difference. beware that larger bills may not be accepted (there are lot of fakes circulating around).

as far as animals... it is heartbreaking, really. i feed few "homeless" dogs (in reality they have owners but they do not give a s**t). i noticed they sometimes leave the food and ask for a pat/scratch first...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast