Would you sign Manny??

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
If I had the choice...no I would not sign him....

2l9050p.jpg
I read an article in List?n Diario prior to this thread about Manny's return to baseball and my first thought was who is going to sign him? If I were the VP of Baseball Operations of any team, I don't think I would consider signing Manny. I don't think he will be able to make a significant contribution as a player not even off the bench or as a DH. As well, with a tarnished reputation, I would not want to take a chance on him.

A team that's desperate may risk it like the Baltimore Orioles but is it really worth it? I hope the Blue Jays don't sign him as we have been signing a lot of veterans over the last two seasons who in the short and long run make no contribution and end up being designated for assignment.

Manny se presentar? ante varios equipos - listindiario.com

-Marianopolita.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Risk versus Reward.

The risks we know, (huge sample size) and it's not going to suddenly change, he's not going to change. He's repeatedly proven lazy, disruptive and distracting.

The rewards? He's not getting any younger or healthier. His skills seem diminished, there's very little debate that he's on the downward trend.

If he gets an invite to spring training, I'd be mildly surprised. If he gets a contract, I'll be stunned.

Unless a team has a huge hole that can't be filled with a developing player, or in a trade or waiver wire pick-up as teams break camp, it would have to be a signing out of huge desperation.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
One of the best hitters of all time...yeah I would sign him, but not for a huge amount of money and definitely with iron clad clauses where I could easily dismiss him if he starts with some of his antics. It would have to be with a contract with low base salary and full of incentives for reaching certain goals (i.e. Hit 250 average you get an extra 500k, hit 275 you get 750k, 300 = 1 mill and so on)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't sign him. He's old for a baseball player. There are tons of good up and coming players.
Manny has worn out his welcome everywhere in baseball.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I believe Boras is his agent. So everything you're interested in as part of the contract makes signing him nearly impossible.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
...and I was right. Why wouldn't any low budget team take a chance like this. One of the greatest hitters in Baseball in the past and you can get him for 500k or just about. There are tons of other players that get paid more than that and never even get to play.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
...and I was right. Why wouldn't any low budget team take a chance like this. One of the greatest hitters in Baseball in the past and you can get him for 500k or just about. There are tons of other players that get paid more than that and never even get to play.

Old news, everyone new the A's were gonna sign him, perennial losing team picks up a washed up has been.......

Off the juice, this WILL NOT be the Manny you are used to seeing.....

Must be great to be an A's fan......WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

Go Manny go!!!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Off the juice, this WILL NOT be the Manny you are used to seeing.....

Must be great to be an A's fan......WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

Go Manny go!!!!!

Yeah we know that, but he costs them almost nothing...do you guys understand that they're getting a person who used to be a great player, and could potentially be a decent player for next to nothing. What do they have to lose? This is a great move IMO. If he rehabs and start swinging the bat well they can play him if on the other hand he doesn't they can let him sit on the bench and it they haven't lost much, if he starts being a PITA then they can just let him go. Without roids he may not have the power he once had, but I think he can still hit the ball (Has a great swing and experience) if he applies himself.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Agreed, lots of upside potential...low risk....good for the fans, I just hate seeing former great players go out like this.

He might work out, myself, being from Boston, I saw him play ALOT, great hitter, lots of production.....I'm glad we had him.

But a total prima donna, pain in the AZZ.......

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Someone will sign him however will he last the whole season???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hope Manny does OK. Except when he plays against the Yankees. Oakland was, for some reason, always my second team despite my being a die hard Yankee fan from NY State. Coincidentally I did live in Oakland's fan zone for about 10 years when I lived in California.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Stick A Fork In 'Em,He's DONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
No class.
When it's over,it's OVER!
I can hear the "Fat Lady Singing",from here.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Manny NO Way!

Too little too late for Manny R. It was always all about Manny and --ck every else. At one time he was a well respected player but Manny from da Bronx did not respect the game, his team mates or himself. Taking steroids is one thing but giving up on yourself and your team is something entirely different. He will NEVER be in the hall and probably not on an MLB field ever any time soon. I believe in second chances but he has used that up and Manny more. He is not missed and has nothing left to contribute.

LTS

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Will Manny return to the MLB?

2youxja.jpg

So it seems like Manny will not be returning to the MLB in 2012. He asked to be released from his minor league contract with the Oakland A's. I am sticking to my original thoughts in this thread regarding Manny. I don't think he should be signed by any team. He put up decent numbers in the minors but does he deserve to be back in the majors and will he produce? These are pivotal questions and factors.

On the other hand, Vlad Guerrero who I was really hoping to see join the Blue Jays asked to be released from his minor league contract this week as well. However, his is a totally different story. Vlad in my opinion is a Hall of Fame candidate.

Oakland deja libre a Ram?rez - listindiario.com

-MP.