City Market...anyone know whats going on?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I knew that they were facing having to leave the premises a few months ago, but thought there had been a reprieve.

Now things are looking even worse there, with the back half of the store closed down and even their fresh produce looking pretty manky (used to be their strong point). And they are closing earlier at night.

So, is this the final curtain for CM?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I heard the same. Alex busted her ass to make that place the absolute best grocer on the north coast...and she succeeded. I heard that the land and building were then sold to a foreigner (someone said Russian but who knows/cares). The new owner allowed the lease of the building to continue BUT apparently is not going to renew it! That is rumor but it is what I heard.

This is a shame. Alex is an amazing woman, excellent taste and a keen head for business. I hope she is not too disappointed to try again someplace else. Her restaurant is one of my favorites so I can only imagine a grocery store with her having a free hand in it. Yummily!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I heard the same. Alex busted her ass to make that place the absolute best grocer on the north coast...and she succeeded. I heard that the land and building were then sold to a foreigner (someone said Russian but who knows/cares). The new owner allowed the lease of the building to continue BUT apparently is not going to renew it! That is rumor but it is what I heard.

This is a shame. Alex is an amazing woman, excellent taste and a keen head for business. I hope she is not too disappointed to try again someplace else. Her restaurant is one of my favorites so I can only imagine a grocery store with her having a free hand in it. Yummily!

Yep, i couldn't agree more. Alex and Rafael both know and understand customer service like no one else. And their restaurant, Morua Mai, is in my opinion, the best restaurant in Sosua. Period.

Frank

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
update:
Well, it seems that City Market has breather its last....well, more of a final small gasp as it became a shadow of its former self in the last few months. Today the shutters are down and i guess that's it.

Anyone know what the owners are planning? Are the Russians taking it on?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Looked like that when i went by on Wednesday.... shutters at 10am.
They were open a bit later but maybe not for the food part -- dunno.

Too bad.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It appeared totally closed down this Thursday and yesterday so I guess that is it. RIP
Too bad as Alex certainly worked her a** off making it a nice place to shop.

Bob K

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I enjoyed going there at first, but as time went on they just didn't have consistent supplies so I stopped wasting my time. They tried to compete against Playero instead of finding their own niche. Their prices and selection were far from competitive to go head to head with Playero.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I enjoyed going there at first, but as time went on they just didn't have consistent supplies so I stopped wasting my time. They tried to compete against Playero instead of finding their own niche. Their prices and selection were far from competitive to go head to head with Playero.

I agree with what you said except even at first I saw they would be uncompetitive because of their pricing. The location is also not convenient for a large number of people shopping for food. Hopefully someone won't repeat the mistake at that spot.

miozio

May 23, 2009
One thing is for sure: ""The Russians" took over the place. I can't wait to see what happens with the store.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I agree with what you said except even at first I saw they would be uncompetitive because of their pricing. The location is also not convenient for a large number of people shopping for food. Hopefully someone won't repeat the mistake at that spot.

I kind of agree and disagree. They started out as a specialty market for imported goods, and people are willing to travel a bit for that and pay the exorbitant prices. They also had a very good veg and fruit market, and a cheap pharmacy.

What bothered me was the fact that at least 20% of the articles had a different price on the shelves, then the one counted at check-out, and somehow it was always to your disadvantage. Coke for ex. was advertised at 55 rds, and you paid 69 rds, if you did not remark on it.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Its in a most convenient location...if you live in Playa Laguna like me :)
I shall miss it...no crowds, i can take my bag in there, great fruit and veg and not pre-packed (i.e. bad beg hidden at the bottom!) and nice staff.

Lets see what the russians do with it...better pickles i suspect :)