I 'm Back "see Text"

H

hlywud

I don't know what is transpiring here but I received an email from the webmaster@DR1 and when I opened it, my computer completely crashed. I had previously sent an email requesting info on the hacking(port scans) on DR1 and a suggestion to link the white pages on the site.
File received have been sent to symantec.com for evaluation hopefully the webmaster is not sending out destructive trojan scripts or other crap.
I enjoy reading and posting any useful information on this site but if forced off, I will go to Bravenet with others and make my opinions known. I could use anonymizer but do not chose to use this route, email address will remain private and has since been changed to avoid any further hits and spam junk.

H

hlywud

Forgot 1 Thing

I was 6 hours reconfiguring and cleaning up the hard drive, 26 files were corrupted and useless.

D

DR1

This is impossible!

Our listserver does not allow attachments, jscript or macros to be sent with our mailings!

The link is harmless! 7000 people got it and never had a problem??

I would be very intrigued to know how your machine crashed by clicking on a link to our subscribe/unsubscribe web page.

Rob.

C

CPaulino

Re: This is impossible! Att:hlywud

This is a great cause for concern.So please Hlywud, try to work things out with DR1 and give us an update as to what really happened. It would be greatly appreciated. I just started participating in this forum, and I enjoy it, but it would be a pitty to lose confidence in it.

S

Sarah

You're telling me that you sent out 7000 emails

and all they said was "testing testing"??????????????????????????

I sent a reply asking "WHY?" and got no response. What was the point, Rob?

H

hlywud

Re: This is impossible! Att:hlywud

I have no problems with DR1 and Rob, maybe it is just a coincidence that I had previously sent an email to him asking a question and making a suggestion for the board and had just received an email from the webmaster which I thought was a reply.
I opened it and screen went blank, lights on tower started flashing and then shutdown. I run updated anti virus software and have sent the corrupted files for evaluation. They hopefully will be able to tell me what happened.

D

DR1

Test message explanation

On Thursday, we upgraded our subscription mailing service. The new service is much better and will be easier for subscribers. The upgrade took more than the promised 24 hours and subscriptions were late in getting out.

On Friday, in Santo Domingo, I began to have computer connection problems. For me, happiness is when computer systems work. I switched to a computer that I am unfamiliar with in the meantime, and with all the extra work load I have been having lately (we are working on upgrade of the entire site) I inadvertently misread the instructions Robert, our webmaster, sent on how to use the new subscriber system. I thought I was sending out a test message to a test list. I sent out the test message to all our subscribers. That's all that happened, nothing more.

Unfortunately this has coincided with the isp alert so things that are not there are being read into it.

I apologize to all. As I explain, the new upgraded system will make things much easier for all.

D

DR1

Why did his machine crash?

This is a very good question, neither I or Microsoft has the answer to this.

We moved our email database to a new list server.
Faster, more efficient etc etc.

By mistake a test message was sent to all our subscribers.
It should have been sent to just one address, not all of them.
This was a mistake our end.

We do not attach files to any of our emails.
Our listserver does not allow us to attach files.
7,000+ other people didn't have files attached, why is that?

The link on the test message takes you to an unsubscribe page.
It's like a link from here to the daily news page, harmless.
7,000+ other people have not had a problem, why is that?

Tom tells me of 3 people that have had problems.
I asked him to ask them to email me.

His email: "I have forwarded you email to the people I personally know to have claimed damage"

To date I haven't heard anything, why is that?

As you can see, right now we have lots of "why is that?"
I'll let you make up your own mind to whats really going on.

Rob.

S

Sarah

Re: Test message explanation

Mistake understood and accepted. However, the appropriate thing to do, upon your realization of what had happened, would have been to send a follow-up email to the entire list again, explaining what exactly had transpired. OR AT LEAST responded to those who sent an email reply asking what was going on, like me!

D

DR1

A note will be in todays news...

I got around 4,500 emails from people related to the test message. Mix this in with the hate mail and it makes for an interesting inbox :)

Rob.

S

Sarah

No Rob, WHY the "testing testing" email...

you DID NOT respond to my email reply to your initial "testing testing" email...that's what I'm miffed about.

S

Sarah

Do you think all 7000 people you sent that testing

message to read the DR1 News? NO. Once again, why not just send another email to the entire list to clear things up? People who read DR1 News and did NOT get the email will not care about that particular "news item".

N

Nelson

Re: Why did his machine crash?

I don't post much, I usually just read. But, I should say that this is most interaction I have ever seen from a board moderator regarding its actions on a board. Most just don't bother to respond, explain, etc., you either post or don't, your call. Everybody should appreciate their complaints are being heard.

P.S. A test is a test, that is enough explanation. My machines at work an at home didn't crash, and I even joined the two other list I found while following the links.

D

DR1

This is the reason...

I received over 4,500 emails relating to the test message.
They are still coming in today :-(

I apologize if I didn't get back to you, my inbox hasn't been looking good the last few days. Your email must have been buried under thousands of others.

We thought it was better for all if we included a note in todays news.

Rob.

D

DR1

Re: Do you think all 7000 people you sent that tes

The DR1 Daily News list was sent that message. A great number of people that receive the daily news read it, at least I hope they do :) I hope this clears things up.

Rob.

J

jim

Re: Test message explanation

ANYTHING ELECTRONIC, TEST-TEST-TEST-TEST-TEST AND SO ON. OTHERWISE YOUR SERVER, PC OR LAPTOP OR TELEPHONE OR CAR OR TV ETC. ETC. MAY CRASH ALL THE TIME AND EVERYONE WOULD BE UPSET. REMEMBER, ALL THE GOOD THIS SITE DOES AND ITS FREE TOO, SO COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS. JIM