Thread: Places to Stay

Post Thanks / Like

Default Places to Stay

Planning a trip for a couple of months; looking for recommendations of places to stay. Have been to resorts on the North Coast and Boca Chica with my son. He is now an adult and I want to go local and get a real experience. Looking for a safe furnished apartment close to the a nice beach in a populated area. Requirements are simple: close to a market, produce and sea food and wifi. I design and build solar and wind projects and can do that from anywhere with internet access.
    Best regards to all.
    Rio Ron

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board RioRon!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome rioron, I would look into the city of juan dolio they have really nice apartments right off the beach, it all depends how much you would like to spend. Juan dolio, has lots of little stores, but it is not as populated at BAVARO would be, there is another place you could look into...

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to 'go local' and get the real experience then you are best staying away from the tourist areas. If you want beach then that will narrow it down a bit too. Wifi shouldn't be an issue as you can get a plug in usb internet from the main providers. Once you know where you are living then you can find out which one works best in that area. Markets for fresh produce and sea food will be available in the mainly Dominican areas on the coast. Starting in the North East and working your way around you could look at:

Monte Cristi
    Cabrera (some tourists and expats but not too many)
    Nagua
    Miches
    Guayacanes
    Palenque
    Bahoruco
    Paraiso

None of these are major tourist area, so would be more of a local experience. Probably wise to be able to speak Spanish.

matilda

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps "RioRon" should decamp at RioSanJuan.... fish, food, beach, wi-fi and not really touristy.

Affordable is in the mix too !

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Perhaps "RioRon" should decamp at RioSanJuan.... fish, food, beach, wi-fi and not really touristy.

Affordable is in the mix too !
    Good idea. I wasnt sure if there was a beach there. I meant North West not North East by the way - re Monte Cristi. And WW is right, you will find life far cheaper away from tourist areas, not only accommodation but everything else too.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a very nice little beach w/ a food shack just beside the Bahia Blanca. Rarely anybody there and its on the lee side - less to no waves.