Whale Watching Samana 2012

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Have the whales 'arrived' yet? Can anyone suggest a nice hotel close to the ocean to stay for a few nights?
Many thanks.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Nope. Was up there just yesterday and was informed they haven't arrived yet :(

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I stayed at the Hotel and Restaurante Chino last year. A very basic hotel at a very basic price, with a decent Chinese restaurant. From the ocean, it is a bit of a climb, but affords a great view of the bay.

This year, I'm thinking I'll stay at the Hotel Docia, because I don't feeling like climbing the steps and because I plan to take the bus this year rather than drive. The town is very nice and lots of families were on the Malecon in the evenings (to me, always a sign of a safe area).

The Hotel Docia is on the DR1 travel section. The Hotel Chino has information available at Tripadvisor.com.

There are some pricier hotels available right on the beach, and some out on Cayo Levantado.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Jarachica,
Wow - yes . Go a little later and try Kim Beddles trips. Fantastic !

Olly

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Any sighting of the whales in SAMANA yet? Planning a trip and don't want to be dissapointed. Also, any idea's if there is occupancy in the 'Ocean Front' hotels?

Many thanks

Poncho

Oct 29, 2011
The Whales have arrived. Sunday my friend was out (Policing) the area and Mom and calf were seen. Also, a week prior, two adults were seen. Have fun.........

hootie

Feb 19, 2012
I was thinking about booking a cruise that would stop in Samana on March 30th. Would I still be able to go on a whale watching trip? The dr1.com home page/travel news posted that they go out until the end of the month. Any help would be appreciated.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
To Hootie - post#8,

There are plenty now but they do start to leave towards the end of March, it's tough to say how many will still be in the area at that late date. This is probably not alot of help, sorry.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You must be kidding! I saw a dozen of them go past my house the other day on their way there. Aw crap, they probably stopped at a bar in Las Terrenas and...well, you know what happens.

Lol... I was writing an answer then read yours over again and realized you were kidding. Good one! lol