Living under unbelievable conditions in Lifestyles in Cofresi

scag

Nov 13, 2006
Mr Guzman,
I live at Lifestyles in Cofresi and have owned an apartment here for eighteen years and as of Dec 29th 2011 they have cut off my electricity and water supply ....I have a contract for maintenance with them since 2002 and it states that i pay 150.00 a month for maintenance which is for everything outside of the apartment and 32.50 for the electricity .....I retained a lawyer to help me with this problem who readily took all my cash that i had and now tells me it will take up to three months to get this resolved in court ...he tells me to rent somewhere else till this goes to court but i cannot afford do that ...I would like to know if you have any suggestions to help me with this problem ...there is a lot more to this story but it is too long to go into it here ...if there is any way you think you might be able to offer some ideas please do as i am becoming desperate .

May 29, 2006
That's what happened to me. I got into a lease and the landlord cut off my water despite being paid in full. I might have won going to court, but was told it would take months and I would have to spend far more up front that I had on hand. The landlord claimed that since no water was mentioned in the lease, he could cut it off whenever he wanted to. The landlord was an ex-pat with a bad rep, but I thought I was covered by the lease terms.

In the US, this is called a "constructed eviction" and the landlord would be subject to damages as well as actually costs. Could be the landlord wants to greatly increase rents and is evicting you to open up spaces or is just trying to extort money from you for short term gain. Amazing that it's happening to a such a long-term tenant. Good tenants are hard to find anywhere.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Read the first sentence. The OP says he has OWNED the apartment for 18 years. I doubt you can evict someone who owns their own property.

scag

Nov 13, 2006
yes i have owned this place since it was built and this is not the first time they have tried things with me but this is the worst because i am forced to walk around in the dark and no water to flush the toilet i have to get water when no one is looking from a tap down below which i am sure they will shut off if they see it happening ....i told them to make me an offer and i would leave but it has to be a good enough one so i can get another place ...they are a big operation and of course powerful .....and have many lawyers on the payroll maybe even mine so its hard to get justice ...

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Really no prolem - 1000 dollars should see you a mininmum solar system or else a generator, charger, batteries will be less and just use a camping toilet. Someone will use the waste for fertilizer and charge 50/100 pesos to take a 5 gallon gerrycan away. Emergency lighting flourescent units are cheap.
Someone will fill 5 gallon containers with river water for not very much.
If the title is correct contact a lawyer and go for a no-fee no-win arrangement maybe out of town. If you are proved correct then your epenses etc ++++ will be due to you.
Get a camera with a remote to record possible physical harrassment ; also be friendly with a local policeman or influential person in the area ; get cellphone number if there is trouble.
Dominicans say they only respect people who act / are like a tiger.
It used to happen in London and this was similar advice.

pi2

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How much do they "Claim" you owe them??
DO you owe them anything?
Now,contact "Guzmzn Ariza" on the DR1 Legal Forum,and get your problem resolved.
Or,listen to "pi2"!
CC

scag

Nov 13, 2006
Yes it is one and the same ........they are giving away the rooms here and charging me the electric for six of the apts where i live ........only one meter for the six apts how can they say the bill is all mine ...when there is no one else in these apts but me then the bill is 2700.00 hundred pesos when its full they send me a bill for 21,900.00 and i have had two months at a normal rate and the other months are all crazy and i refuse to pay for what i have not used

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Call Dr. Julio Brea at 809-571-2880. He is the partner in charge of Guzman Ariza in Sosua. A very nice man who will tell you specifically what you should do. If they are doing something illegal, he will correct it. If they are not, he will tell you why and what you should do. He helped me out of a horrendous mess I discovered in July of this year. I swear by him!

scag

Nov 13, 2006
re lifestyle problems

Thank you for the number........ i have contacted them and they say that they will get back to me sometime later today ....thanks again