Getting Married as a Dominican or American

mmarrero

Jan 25, 2012
Hello,

I hold both the American and Dominican nationalities and have a question re marriage. My fiance is a dominican citizen. If i get married as a American I know that I can then request her as a resident/citizen. But if I get married as Dominican citizen can I still do the same? The reason for the dillema is that it is much cheaper for me to get married as a Dominican citizen in DR than as a American.

Any insight into this?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The reason for the dillema is that it is much cheaper for me to get married as a Dominican citizen in DR than as a American.

Any insight into this?

Welcome to DR1.

This is my personal opinion. I do not think love has a price. :)

Maybe someone can chime in on the legalities.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hello,

I hold both the American and Dominican nationalities and have a question re marriage. My fiance is a dominican citizen. If i get married as a American I know that I can then request her as a resident/citizen. But if I get married as Dominican citizen can I still do the same? The reason for the dillema is that it is much cheaper for me to get married as a Dominican citizen in DR than as a American.

Any insight into this?

No matter what citizenship you use for the marriage the Immigration process for your wife will be the same.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I believe that if you marry anywhere in the planet as an American or Dominican, your legal status will change on both nationalities and for immigration purposes it does not matter if you marry in the DR or the US or Egypt...

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
this is great I was asking myself this same question because I opted to marry with my cedula because it was much cheaper and we could use the $ for an awesome honeymoon which we are now planning!